Scripture Audio By Verse

Discussions relating to the accessibility of Church resources for persons with disabilities.
shawnlg

Scripture Audio By Verse

Post by shawnlg »

The church has mp3 files of all the standard works by chapter, but do they have them broken down by verse? To do any audio scripture tools application for the blind, you would need that kind of granularity. I'm sure they would love to search the topical guide and be able to listen to the actual verse of scripture.

I am legally blind, so I listen to the scriptures all the time. But fortunately, I can still read them and use the topical guide. I'm also a web developer and I would like to make something that could use the existing church audio in a way that lends itself to actual scripture study, not just reading chapter by chapter.

Has this already been done, or is there more information?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

MP3 may not be the best format for that. You might be interested in this thread that talks about DAISY.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
shawnlg

Post by shawnlg »

I checked the link.

So far, nothing for the scriptures. What we really need is a way to stream scriptures by verse. Right now, there is a way to pass a scripture reference to the church website and it returns those scriptures. It would be nice to have the same thing for audio scriptures. That way, when you click on a link to a set of scripture verses (i.e. James 1:5-6), you would be able to here just those verses. Right now, you can click on a chapter and hear the whole chapter.
makinjeremiah
Church Employee
Church Employee

Will DAISY digital talking books work...?

Post by makinjeremiah »

In your opinion would a DAISY digital talking book fill the need? To my knowledge it's a concept that we've looked into for DAISY cartridges but not as an online solution. I will try and loop some others in who may know more in-depth.
PhillipsCJ

Post by PhillipsCJ »

Hello Shawn- I work in the Disability Services and am interested in hearing more about your application idea- it sound like you have some great ideas. Currently there is not an official version of the scriptures broken down at the verse level, but we are planning on producing an DAISY version of the scriptures at some point in the future, we don't currently have a timetable for that effort.

I'll send you a direct message to see if we can chat on the phone about your idea.
Disability Services Manager, LDS Church
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

In the meantime there are some things on the seminary part of LDS.org regarding scripture mastery where the particular scripture or scriptures are broken out and available to download separately. There are 100 scriptures done this way, 25 per major part of the Standard Works.
shawnlg

Post by shawnlg »

makinjeremiah wrote:In your opinion would a DAISY digital talking book fill the need? To my knowledge it's a concept that we've looked into for DAISY cartridges but not as an online solution. I will try and loop some others in who may know more in-depth.
I was trying to think how I would use the topical guide if I had the Scriptures on a daisy player. The player does let you zoom in on things at different levels, so it would be possible. But the topical guide has so many entries, it would have to be broken down pretty carefully to be useful. In my mind, if we had an underlying technology that would let you get the various pieces of scripture and topical guide, you could use that to build the Daisy audio structure, but you could also use it to build online tools or even mobile apps. With phones and tablets having voice search capabilities built in, this could be a much easier interface.
Christopherst

Re:

Post by Christopherst »

shawnlg wrote: Mon May 16, 2011 6:17 am
makinjeremiah wrote:In your opinion would a DAISY digital talking book fill the need? To my knowledge it's a concept that we've looked into for DAISY cartridges but not as an online solution. I will try and loop some others in who may know more in-depth.
I was trying to think how I would use the topical guide if I had the Scriptures on a daisy player. The player does let you zoom in on things at different levels, so it would be possible. But the topical guide has so many entries, it would have to be broken down pretty carefully to be useful. In my mind, if we had an underlying technology that would let you get the various pieces of scripture and topical guide, you could use that to build the Daisy audio structure, but you could also use it to build online tools or even mobile apps. With phones and tablets having voice search capabilities built in, this could be a much easier interface.
Hi Shawnlg,

I'm curious about your situation. I'm not legally blind but I have a visual processing disorder, and use the Mac Accessibility options for spoken content, as well as VoiceOver. I'm a web designer, graphic artist, and sound engineer. How are things going now since 2011? I would like to talk with you more about the process you are using to access the internet, as well as your ability to read the Scriptures. Feel free to send me a private message when you are ready. I hope you have a good week.

Return to “Accessibility to Church Technology Products”