New FamilySearch

Discussions around Genealogy technology.
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

In Oregon I am sure you'll get it before us in Utah.
- David
ceburgoyne

"cleared" dates in the IGI

Post by ceburgoyne »

This concerns me as well. I understand this problem has been considered by the Designers of the new system, but no approval to set a limit has been given. I have a number of ancestors that I would like to have their work done and they have been "cleared" for several years. I am hoping that once the NewFamiilySearch is operational that we will get some reasonable limit set so that the work can move forward.

Charles
RonaldF-p40

Post by RonaldF-p40 »

ceburgoyne wrote:This concerns me as well. I understand this problem has been considered by the Designers of the new system, but no approval to set a limit has been given. I have a number of ancestors that I would like to have their work done and they have been "cleared" for several years. I am hoping that once the NewFamiilySearch is operational that we will get some reasonable limit set so that the work can move forward.

Charles
The new FamilySearch does not set time limits at this time. The existing system uses TempleReady that has not been up dated for several years. A name that is submitted under the existing "old" system will be cleared by TempleReady if it was previously submitted within the last seven years. That could cause a duplication of ordinances. Unless the local temple checks each submission for duplications, the name would be "cleared" a second time. Only a few temples are checking for duplications. The process depends on the individual submitting the name to check the IGI to see if the name had been submitted previously.
RonaldF-p40

Post by RonaldF-p40 »

I recently sent the following suggestion to NFS:

Reserving Ordinances should have a one year time limit.
The time limit would be reset by re-reserving the ordinance. Too many ordinances are now "cleared" but have not been done for many years. This would allow others to do the ordinance in case the person reserving the ordinance does not complete the ordinance in one year.

Reply from NFS:

Dear Ronald

There is currently no time limit on how long you can reserve a name for temple work. Nor is there a time limit on how long you can hold onto a Family Ordinance Record after it has been printed. From time to time there are changes and this may one day change.

Sincerely

FamilySearch Support
LHH

Return to “Family History”