Mormon Channel for the Roku Channel Store

Discussions on how emerging technology can assist the distribution of media content through mobile, kiosks, Internet, social networks, etc.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

As long as the projector takes the composite (RCA-Yellow) cable as input, usually labeled Video1 or Video2 - you should be good. I plan on using this at home for Conference this year.
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

If you go to the Roku store and look for BYUtv, it's there, been there for about the last three or four months if not earlier. It uses the current BYUtv logo as well, I've even seen that on roku.com (however, the webpage does not show Mormon Channel even though it's available through the Roku itself).
FasnachtJ

Post by FasnachtJ »

JohnShaw wrote:As long as the projector takes the composite (RCA-Yellow) cable as input, usually labeled Video1 or Video2 - you should be good. I plan on using this at home for Conference this year.

Thanks John.
mwgbell

Post by mwgbell »

JonesRC wrote:Ease of use and setup is one of the features that make the Roku Box a very attractive solution for delivering digital media. I use it on Sunday's for my YSA class. It is good to hear stories about how people are using the device to support their teaching efforts. We are hoping our beta test of the Roku proves that theory.
We have a number of older TV's in the buildings in our Stake. Recently, one of the Seventy was visiting his daughter who lives in one of the wards, and wanted to show a video from his iPAD. Unfortunately, we had no connectivity options for his HDMI output. (Roku boxes don't seem to have HDMI input either.) But, maybe a Roku box might allow someone to connect and download the content directly?

What do others do to get video from modern devices (e.g. iPAD, Android phones) with HDMI output to TV's with only RCA or F-Connectors?
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

I did check the site at roku.com, and you don't need HDMI for any of the four models. It's an option, but you can get away without it, and they all work on older NTSC sets.

The side issue is going to be the Wifi signal then, that's about the only thing keeping anyone from using a Roku in a given location, once you're sure the TV is hooked up.

Another thing, the boxes auto-update, so they should be turned on for a time before use to be sure the latest incremental firmware version for them gets loaded to them, much the same way Sophos updates on a PC in a clerks office or an FHC. Probably doesn't happen that often but it does help.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mwgbell wrote:maybe a Roku box might allow someone to connect and download the content directly?

I don't know as a Roku box can download content outside of what's in the Roku Store. However, some models do have a USB port to allow you to connect a thumb drive and playback video that way.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
dcook3712

Panasonic Viera Connect - online content

Post by dcook3712 »

What a great idea to have a Mommon Channel and BYU-TV channel for the Roku. Nice Work :)

Panasonic TV has one of the stronger online content repository (channels) for their internet enabled televisions, dvd and blu-ray players. They recently opened it up for developers.

http://developer.vieraconnect.com/

Could the channels that were created for Roku be used for the Panasonic Viera Connect?

Members who have these tvs or players wouldn't need the added expense of the Roku box. Some of the Panasonic players are less expensive than a roku box.
JonesRC
Church Employee
Church Employee

Mormon Channel on Panasonci Viera Connect

Post by JonesRC »

dcook3712 wrote:Could the channels that were created for Roku be used for the Panasonic Viera Connect?
Thank you for sharing this idea. We are looking at the opportunities available on OTT platforms and having developer tools available makes entry more enticing.
jjamminjim

Post by jjamminjim »

I have been handed a Roku by my FM group. Their challenge to me is to figure out how to stream conference and other live broadcasts to my stake center. I see in this thread that the Roku Mormon Channel does stream conference in english. My task is to also stream in ASL.

In the past I have received direct links to the ASL stream for conference, which has worked great via computer browser. My question is can I stream ASL conference live via the Roku Mormon Channel? Or, alternatively, is it currently a possibility to stream a direct link of the ASL conference stream to the Roku?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jjamminjim wrote:Their challenge to me is to figure out how to stream conference and other live broadcasts to my stake center.

A question you should be asking is can you stream encrypted broadcasts such as the Priesthood session of conference? Or regional conferences?

At this time, I think Roku is a good move for general/public broadcasts, but if someone is thinking about it being a satellite replacement, I think there is a very good chance they'll be in for unpleasant surprise sooner or later.

You may want to tackle this question first, as it may be more limiting for whatever they are planning.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Digital Media”