enforcing the 5-year replacement policy

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

I just had this conversation with one of my Local FM Managers. Here is what he basically admitted... when it comes to equipment, computers, copiers, etc... the FMAT program kicks that stuff out (if the policy says it's time to 'consider' budgeting for replacement) so they can review it at the yearly review. He basically ignores those, and checks them off as being OK. He mentioned that they are so busy, that he is really focused on the building itself, and doesn't have enough time to even consider these other items. I guess, from what he said, that unless that number is greater than 10K it is automatically cancelled as a budget item. So basically, FM is 'hoping' that nothing breaks during the year and if it does, they have to pull from someplace else in the budget. So the idea of budgeting to replace a computer, or copier doesn't seem to be something FM can implement on their side anyway. I am so tired of trying to deal with this stuff.

As to the Stake President getting his way advice I always get, this FM Manager told me that yes, the Stake President evaluation each year is important, but relative to their budget metric (if they miss their budget by 1 single penny) it is negligible. So if the Stake President gives them an 'F' grade, that can affect their performance evaluation by about 5-10% --> if they miss their budget their performance evaluation can be affected by larger than 50-60%.

So the FM is really incented(SP??), NOT to respond to a Stake President when he really wants something done, even though the messaging is that a Stake President, when it is important, can get FM to move.
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

We have one other factor hitting that most may be aware of, and that is that Windows XP (all SPs) is at the end of its lifecycle and while it may still be usable for some time to come, patches and security updates will not be sent out after sometime next year.

Another thing that happened is that the Windows 7 OS requires in some instances different hardware than before, a wild guess is you could get away with Home Premium maybe, but for Professional versions it is probably more than likely the machine will have to be swapped out or at least some of its major hardware in some cases.
rbeede

Post by rbeede »

Windows XP isn't end of life until April 8, 2014 (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... /lifecycle). Same for IE6.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Considering that it was sold on netbooks for awhile, as well as being included in Win7 as a virtual, it wouldn't surprise me if it gets extended.

Failing that, there's always Vista. :D
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rbeede

Post by rbeede »

Linux could be a good fit for reusing older hardware, but supporting all the printers kind of kills that. Perhaps for a FHC though.
rbeede

Post by rbeede »

Also in terms of security updates most ward computers don't get regular updates since they have dial-up. Of course the advent of broadband will probably help to change that.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

rbeede wrote:Linux could be a good fit for reusing older hardware, but supporting all the printers kind of kills that. Perhaps for a FHC though.

That would require making MLS run on Linux, as well as possibility additional support for people who don't know Linux.

rbeede wrote:Also in terms of security updates most ward computers don't get regular updates since they have dial-up. Of course the advent of broadband will probably help to change that.

Well, if they're on isolated dial-up, then I don't think the lack of security patches is really that big a problem. If the machine is isolated, there is the threat going to come from. (Not to mention that it's already behind on patches and the world hasn't ended yet.)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rbeede

Post by rbeede »

MLS is just a Java program so porting to Linux wouldn't be too intensive. As for support you just provide a simple desktop interface, and you can remotely manage. A custom distro is one option. Again supporting printers is the big issue since there are so many makes and models in use. Not feasible for years.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

rbeede wrote:MLS is just a Java program so porting to Linux wouldn't be too intensive.
But I don't know as they'd want to do that for a "stopgap" measure. OTOH, if MLS is now Win7 compatible, then I'd expect it to be Vista compatible as well. Vista is good until 2017. The machines that didn't ship with Win7 probably shipped with at least a Vista license.

So it seems like the viable options are:
1) Replace all non-Win7 machines April 2014. (conceivably these might be reloaded and re-purposed.)
2) Continue running WinXP until the 5 years is up.
3) Bump XP machines to Vista.

Of course, they might want to eye the situation with Win8 and see where the enterprise is moving before making that decision.

rbeede wrote:and you can remotely manage.
On dial-up?

rbeede

Post by rbeede »

RussellHltn wrote: 3) Bump XP machines to Vista.
The hardware for the XP machines is most likely not sufficient for Vista.
On dial-up?
Unix/Linux used dial-up for a long time. A quick ssh session doesn't need that much bandwidth at all. Just send commands after the dial-up connection is established or if connected to a LAN with broadband it is already available.

Return to “Clerk Computers”