Former Member Still Receiving Calendar Reminders

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
kyleq

Post by kyleq »

lajackson wrote:Are you talking here about logging into the calendar site at lds.org after they move? Is the code set up so that if they do that, the site will recognize their new ward and automatically unsubscribe them from their old calendars?
Yes, that's how the code is set up now. Once a member logs in to the calendar, not just lds.org, the app can recognize that they are in a new ward and take the appropriate action to remove their subscriptions from their previous ward/stake. This should also stop email reminders for events form the previous ward/stake. We are looking into this again to track down any new issues.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

kyleq wrote:Yes, that's how the code is set up now. Once a member logs in to the calendar, not just lds.org, the app can recognize that they are in a new ward and take the appropriate action to remove their subscriptions from their previous ward/stake. This should also stop email reminders for events form the previous ward/stake. We are looking into this again to track down any new issues.

Very well. I am working with someone who moved from our stake months ago and got another notification last week. It turns out he had continued to use the calendar on his iPod Touch but had never logged into the actual lds.org/church-calendar site since he moved.

Sunday he logged into the actual site. Returning to his iTouch, he says he now sees only his current stake/ward calendar information. I will trigger an e-mail alert this week and to see if he receives it. If he does not, the system works. (At least in his case.)
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

lajackson wrote: I will trigger an e-mail alert this week and to see if he receives it.

I sent an e-mail alert this afternoon. He did not receive it. The problem apparently is solved.

So it seems that if someone has moved and is still receiving e-mail alerts from their former stake/ward, they should log into the actual lds.org/church-calendar site, allowing the site to notice they have moved to a new stake/ward. The actual site should unsubscribe the member from any old stake/ward calendars.

This also should stop any further e-mail alerts relating to calendars in the old stake/ward from being sent to the member in the new stake/ward.

Thank you for the help, jdcr256 and kyleq. It worked for us.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:the actual lds.org/calendar site,
Nit-pick: http://lds.org/calendar won't work. It's http://lds.org/church-calendar.

That said, perhaps it's simpler to say that they need to update their subscriptions. Since the only way to do that is to log into the calendar - that will fix it. It also gives them the opportunity to set up their subscriptions and notifications for their new ward.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

RussellHltn wrote:Nit-pick: http://lds.org/calendar won't work. It's http://lds.org/church-calendar.

That said, perhaps it's simpler to say that they need to update their subscriptions. Since the only way to do that is to log into the calendar - that will fix it. It also gives them the opportunity to set up their subscriptions and notifications for their new ward.

Bad link, true. I should have said "the calendar at lds.org" just as kyleq said it.

Because they are trying to update their old calendar subscriptions, I still would say simply that they should log in to the actual site. They will never see their old subscriptions and therefore cannot unsubscribe, but logging in should reset/remove them.

And then I would add that, while they were logged in, they might want to set their subscriptions and notifications for the new stake/ward as you have suggested.

Just telling them to update their subscriptions is not enough. This member never realized he would have to go to the site to do it. He has been trying to figure out how to do it on his mobile device for nine months.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

While not a huge issue, this seems a bid enough issue that I hope it is "re-visited" by the programmers. I suspect most of us have seen it. In the mean-time, perhaps the calendar help files should be updated with this information, and a FAQ about fixing it inserted. Maybe even consider adding a note in the "fine print" at the bottom of the notification email about moved members updating their profile? Having just the calendar admin of a ward/stake know the answer is not enough, because the question will come back to the calendar event submitter...It is their return email that is sent with the calender notification, so the moved member fires off a reply saying "Hey, you know I moved, why did you send this!" If he can also know the answer and say "log in to your calendar and select new preferences" it would help.
tfb47

Calendar reminders

Post by tfb47 »

I have a similar issue. My daughter has recently returned from Goteborg. Her records are now in our ward and showing in MLS as a member of our household. She is not aware that she subscribed to any calendars whilst in Sweden, but now I am receiving reminders from the Goteborg Stake Activities calendar to the household email. Neither she or I can see the Goteborg stake calendar to unsubscribe. I've attached a screen shot of my calendar subscriptions.
Attachments
LDS Calendar.JPG
(49.36 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

tfb47 wrote:I have a similar issue. My daughter has recently returned from Goteborg. Her records are now in our ward and showing in MLS as a member of our household.
Is she appearing in the Directory? This will help determine if the Calendar application recognizes she is now a member of your ward.
tfb47 wrote:She is not aware that she subscribed to any calendars whilst in Sweden, but now I am receiving reminders from the Goteborg Stake Activities calendar to the household email.
If she was a member in Goteborg while the new calendar was in early release I believe the default was to be subscribed to all new calendars then.
tfb47 wrote:Neither she or I can see the Goteborg stake calendar to unsubscribe.
This is as it should be. You should only be able to view calendars of your ward and your stake.

If the system is working correctly it should behave as noted in post #11.

You did not mention how long it has been since your daughter's record appeared in your ward. A quick check to see if the system has recognized she is in a new ward is to log onto the Directory and see if she is listed there. If she is not a member of your household she would have to do this because the default for the EC is a privacy visibility setting of "Private - Leadership Only".
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jdlessley wrote:If the system is working correctly it should behave as noted in post #11.
Which requires the daughter to log into the calendar subscriptions once her record is in the new ward.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
tfb47

Post by tfb47 »

Thanks. She is in the directory and has been since Sep 2011. I got her to log in tonight so we'll wait to see if that fixes it as it said in post 11

Return to “Calendar”