Computer hardware lifecycles

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
wadeburt

Computer hardware lifecycles

Post by wadeburt »

We received ours in September 2004. That means 2009 for us, but keeps us from spending money adding ram to machines that are going away in a little over a year and a half.

I sent FM and the Stake President an email reminding them this was coming. Waiting to see what FM has to say.....
Wade E. Burt
Gallatin Ward High Priest Group Leader
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

wadeburt wrote:keeps us from spending money adding ram to machines that are going away in a little over a year and a half.
Since it's the end of the year, you might want to see how much budget is left over.

What kind of machines are in the FHC? It's possible the admin machines may not "go away" but simply get reassigned. You're not allowed to use ex-admin machines to increase the FHC computer count, but they can be used to cycle out outdated machines.
portseven-p40

Post by portseven-p40 »

For me a big factor in planning technology lifecycles is the support availability. How long will harware vendor x support y hardware, the same is true for sodtware though that can be avoided somewhat by going open source.

Most it directors dont want the risk of an unsupported estate and so that is the driver for refresh policies
srweight

New Computers and Printer in 2009

Post by srweight »

wadeburt wrote:We received ours in September 2004. That means 2009 for us, but keeps us from spending money adding ram to machines that are going away in a little over a year and a half.

I sent FM and the Stake President an email reminding them this was coming. Waiting to see what FM has to say.....

Our FM says that they will be in the 2009 budget. He thinks we will get them about March. He also said that a new printer would be included with the computer for each Admin System replaced.;)
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

What, no LCD monitor? :D
childsdj

Post by childsdj »

Should come with at least a 17" LCD Monitor.;)
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

I know the church does not allow donated PCs to be used, but what about peripherals? I can really use a flatbed scanner to make occasional copies of receipts. I have an extra HP scanner in my basement that I would be willing to permanently install on our MLS computer, but I'm afraid I'd get slapped for doing so.

The only place to make copies is the library located in the farthest possible corner of the building from the clerk's office. (Naturally! :() I wouldn't mind so much, except I'm in a wheelchair it really gets old going there to copy a single slip of paper. (Usually a FO payment where all I get is the stub that goes in the envelope.) Before I can leave the clerk's office, I have to log out of MLS (which forces a backup to be made), lock up all the papers I have out, etc. etc. (OK, have I whined enough yet?? :rolleyes:)
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Mikerowaved wrote:I know the church does not allow donated PCs to be used, but what about peripherals?
Good question. Off hand, a quick glance at .pdf]the policy doesn't show anything either way. I suspect the policy has to do with support issues as the church is starting to take more central control of the machines.
wadeburt

Computer Hardware

Post by wadeburt »

Mikerowaved,

Our last new laser printer came as a HP Laserjet 3390, which is an all-in-one device. Surely your FM group can arrange one for your office?
Wade E. Burt
Gallatin Ward High Priest Group Leader
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

wadeburt wrote:Our last new laser printer came as a HP Laserjet 3390, which is an all-in-one device.
Yes, but I notice that you're a stake clerk. Our stake office has a copier, separate from the one in the library. At this time, I don't think any of our ward offices have copiers or all-in-ones. I doubt that the FM group would replace a working printer unless it was badly out of date. You can ask, but don't be too disappointed in the answer.

Return to “Clerk Computers”