Disassociated .lnk files

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
lrawlins

Disassociated .lnk files

Post by lrawlins »

Today's adventure has all the .lnk files on our Stake Clerk's machine being disassociated from where they should link.

Something evil has gotten to the machine and I wonder if anyone else has had this happen and what the solutions are.

My first thought was to boot in safe mode and run system restore but even in safe mode the files are disassociated.

Is there any utility I can run to put things back in order or is my best solution to reformat the drive and reinstall windows?

Thanks,
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Are you saying that the computer no longer recognizes a "lnk" as a shortcut, or that the shortcuts are no good? Usually the problem is that the file no longer points to the target because the target has moved. Perhaps moved due to careless mousing. All it takes is to accidentally move the mouse when clicking on something and the computer sees that as a "drag and drop" instead if a "open" command.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lrawlins

Post by lrawlins »

It no longer recongizes any ".lnk" file.

All shortcuts are changed to generic icons. Even navigating to the control panel nothing works.

Likely something has messed the registry. All I know about the registry is it is a quick to mess up a machine.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

My best suggestion is to Google for an answer. Failing a quick fix, I think a reformat and reload of the computer is in order. Just because you fix one problem, doesn't mean there isn't more.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Aczlan

Post by Aczlan »

RussellHltn wrote:My best suggestion is to Google for an answer. Failing a quick fix, I think a reformat and reload of the computer is in order. Just because you fix one problem, doesn't mean there isn't more.
I agree. You need to find what caused it as having a keylogger or similar running on a clerk computer would be bad.

To fix the .lnk problem on an XP machine, see http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 0cb075ddd4

Aaron Z
lrawlins

Post by lrawlins »

I took the easy way out and reformatted the drive then installed Win 7.

After that it was run a whole lot of updates.

This is my first experience with Windows 7. Just a wee bit different from XP.

Bye
Aczlan

Post by Aczlan »

lrawlins wrote:I took the easy way out and reformatted the drive then installed Win 7.
After that it was run a whole lot of updates.
This is my first experience with Windows 7. Just a wee bit different from XP.
Bye
Best option IMO. No question as to what may or may not be lurking on the PC that way.

Aaron Z

Return to “Clerk Computers”