Ward Maps

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

kevandcan wrote:Just a quick follow-up note that the application and all associated data have been removed from the ward map server. Thanks, and I look forward to hearing from you.
Thanks! We appreciate your support. Your innovation and implementation of this idea is excellent!

Tom
kevandcan

Post by kevandcan »

RussellHltn wrote:For the benefit of those of us who didn't look at it when it was up, would it be possible for us to see it using dummy data? I'm not sure how hard it would be to dummy something up.
Doesn't do it justice, but here's an image of the interactive ward maps:

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

kevandcan wrote:Doesn't do it justice, but here's an image of the interactive ward maps:
Thanks, that helps.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

tomw wrote:It was decided within these meetings that we respectfully ask you not to upload your ward files to this web site for the following reason.
I think a copy of that post should be put in the announcements section under something like "Church Policy". No doubt this issue will come up again on this forum and in others and it would be best to have a copy in a place that's easily findable.
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

I'm actually working on a more a document that will be put in the announcements. Thanks for the suggestion.

Tom
lincles-p40

Post by lincles-p40 »

Just some thoughts -

First of all I think this thread is exactly why this will be a great site. A member had an excellent idea, shared it on the forum, discussed, then the church IT saw the benefit and decided to look into the possibility of adopting the code. I hope everything works out and that the feature can be implemented on the unit sites.

If for whatever reason it doesn't get implemented what about a locally installed version of the tool - something that unit leaders could install on their own machine and then draw from a local list. This way the member lists would not need to be aggregated in a central location. I really think integration into the unit sites would be ideal, but this is just another option in case it doesn't work out.

Let me know if there is any way I can help out. I have web programming experience in several languages and would be happy to help any way I can.

Thanks again for this great forum

-Lincoln
kevandcan

Post by kevandcan »

lincles wrote:Just some thoughts -

First of all I think this thread is exactly why this will be a great site. A member had an excellent idea, shared it on the forum, discussed, then the church IT saw the benefit and decided to look into the possibility of adopting the code. I hope everything works out and that the feature can be implemented on the unit sites.

If for whatever reason it doesn't get implemented what about a locally installed version of the tool - something that unit leaders could install on their own machine and then draw from a local list. This way the member lists would not need to be aggregated in a central location. I really think integration into the unit sites would be ideal, but this is just another option in case it doesn't work out.

Let me know if there is any way I can help out. I have web programming experience in several languages and would be happy to help any way I can.

-Lincoln

It's funny you should mention this...I was just thinking today that that would be a great solution. Now if I only had the time. I'm happy to send my code to whomever would like to attempt to create a local version of this. I know ASP really well and .NET and Java ok, but don't have the time right now to recreate. If you're interested in creating a good local version, email me at wardmap@theballfamily.org

Thanks,

Kevin
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

lincles wrote:Just some thoughts -

-Lincoln
That is why we have these forums. I'm very excited about the innovation that the community is already doing. Some ideas we will pick up at a Church level and some are best implemented by the community but in the end it benefits more people.

Tom
thegordo

Post by thegordo »

I think this type of information would be very helpful on a stake level as well. My dad was a high councilor for several years and was involved in a number of ward splits. He took the data he got form the Membership program at the time ( it was the dos based version) and made it up loadable to a mapping program(he used streets). In the upload, Elders were assigned one pin color, High priests another, and so on. These maps were intended to help calculate the numbers for ward/stake splits. If in doing this, something of that type of differentiation available to those who would need to know could be a big help to those people willing to use it.
greenwoodkl

Suggestion: Integration of several ideas?

Post by greenwoodkl »

I realize that this particular idea has been pushed for integration into LUWS... I'm wondering if some other ideas presented elsewhere on this forum could be implemented into the same idea? Such as the ward boundaries maps discussed in the [thread=37]Meetinghouse Locator thread[/thread] or the ideas to help with boundary realignments suggested by thegordo earlier in this thread?

It would be nice to see an integrated solution instead of piece-meal features when it comes to geographically-based data. Whatever GIS system the Church uses internally to map ward boundaries would be nice to link to the membership data, meetinghouse locator, facilities management so users in all areas of the Church and out can make meaningful decisions based on geography.

Some uses I can forsee:
  • Granular view of members
    • PH quorum president to see a map of my quorum members
    • Primary teacher to see a map of the class members
    • Individual HT/VT routes (where do my families live?)
    • Unit boundary realignment (PH distribution, building distribution)
  • PH/RS Assignment planning
    • Plot fast-offering routes that are efficient with route directions (which I did manually when I was DQP a decade or more ago)
    • HT/VT districts, companionships, families
  • Statistical views
    • Missionary referrals
    • Convert baptisms
  • Facilities Management
    • Membership distribution to help plan new building sites
Whatever happens, the possibilities are cool and amazing! :cool:

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”