LDS.org signing me out unexpectedly

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
aebrown
Community Administrator

LDS.org signing me out unexpectedly

Post by aebrown »

I've noticed many times in the last little while (I believe it is since the new header was introduced, but I'm not certain), I get signed out of LDS.org unexpectedly. I know that my session will time out after some period of disuse (around 30 minutes IIRC), but these are cases where it happens very soon after I've signed in.

I now have a case where I can duplicate this every time. I'm certain it's not the exact same case as my former experiences (since I'm visiting a page I never visited before), but since it is easily repeatable, perhaps it will shine some light on the problem.

The steps are simple:
  1. Go to https://clerksupport.lds.org
  2. Sign in (note that the header reflects that you are indeed signed in)
  3. Go to https://clerksupport.lds.org
  4. Note that you are signed out, even though less than a minute has elapsed since you successfully signed in.
Now I know that the clerksupport.lds.org site is not officially released, but still it doesn't seem like this kind of problem should be happening, and the effect is what I've seen in other places (even if this is a different page).

Using the clerksupport.lds.org URL does redirect to a different URL (one that starts with http://www.lds.org/callings/melchizedek-priesthood/), but I don't think that tells the whole story, since other similar URLs (such as leader.lds.org or clerk.lds.org) that also redirect to a different URL don't have the same problem.

The problem seems to occur on every browser I've tried, too.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I've got another. I don't think the login to CDOL is expiring. Just now I fired up my browser to look at something, went to the CDOL and I was in. But if I try to switch to the directory, I've given a login screen. Odd.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
showseason

Post by showseason »

Two people in our ward have contacted me about being signed off lds.org unexpectedly as well. They have been in the calendar or directory and go to change to the other tool and have to re-sign in again. Both say it started happening when the sign in page got a new look
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

For me, it is not that I get signed out when moving between tools. It is that the sign in does not always carry over to the new tool.

Also, if I use a direct link to the Official Communication Library, I am sent to the Sign In screen (properly so), and when I get to the OCL, the header (old style) gives me a Sign In link, implying that I am not signed in. I am, though, and a simple page refresh/reload changes the header so that I see my name and a Sign Out link (among other things).
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

lajackson wrote:For me, it is not that I get signed out when moving between tools. It is that the sign in does not always carry over to the new tool.

Also, if I use a direct link to the Official Communication Library, I am sent to the Sign In screen (properly so), and when I get to the OCL, the header (old style) gives me a Sign In link, implying that I am not signed in. I am, though, and a simple page refresh/reload changes the header so that I see my name and a Sign Out link (among other things).

That's only obliquely related to the topic of this thread. I'm talking about cases where you are truly signed out (a refresh won't fix it), but you're talking about cases where you're still signed in, but the header doesn't display that state properly.

There are various problems related to the combination of old and new headers, and I'm pretty sure they will go away when the old header is finally eliminated from use on all pages of LDS.org. Your problem certainly seems to be in that category.

But what I reported uses only the new header, so I'm not so sanguine about that problem going away when the old header goes away.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

RussellHltn wrote:I've got another. I don't think the login to CDOL is expiring. Just now I fired up my browser to look at something, went to the CDOL and I was in. But if I try to switch to the directory, I've given a login screen. Odd.
This is a bug in CDOL. I happened to find it yesterday too. It should be fixed today.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: LDS.org signing me out unexpectedly

Post by aebrown »

aebrown wrote:I now have a case where I can duplicate this every time. I'm certain it's not the exact same case as my former experiences (since I'm visiting a page I never visited before), but since it is easily repeatable, perhaps it will shine some light on the problem.
Well, sometime between my posting of this problem and now, the issue has been resolved. I can now be signed in to LDS.org and then visit http://clerksupport.lds.org or https://clerksupport.lds.org, and I amno longer signed out from LDS.org. :)

Return to “Main Church Website”