Updating Address After Moving

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

wheatley2 wrote:How do we ensure the programmers are working on the issue?
We have no way to control what the programmers work on. All we can do is report the issues. The more people who report the issue the better. Do not rely on others to report an issue for you. Submit feedback using the LDS.org home page since the Maps application does not have a feedback link.
wheatley2 wrote:My household is experiencing the issues descried above. We moved and our household location has been verified by my old ward and so now I cannot update my own location because it has been verified.
Any ward clerk or other ward administrators can move/verify your household location.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

wheatley2 wrote:We moved and our household location has been verified by my old ward and so now I cannot update my own location because it has been verified.
I should have asked these questions before. Are you saying that your current household location, the one after the move, has not been verified by a ward leader (ward clerk, bishopric member, executive secretary) since moving to your new ward and yet it is being displayed as verified? How long have you been in your new ward? Is the household location marker mapped in your new ward boundaries or in your previous ward boundaries?
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
Wilbsguy

Post by Wilbsguy »

I was a clerk before we moved in July. I had verified my address in that ward and it is now October and my address is still over in my new ward. I am trying to figure out who does this but I feel bad forcing someone to correct the location if I was the one that locked it down. I get that he would have to verify anyway, but this seems like more work. It seems to me that any change to an address, no matter what, should trigger a reset to the verification and geo-location. This seems like a very serious bug over time as people use the tool more and and more wards verify locations, those dots are going to be all over the map, not helping people figure out where members live.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Wilbsguy wrote:I was a clerk before we moved in July. I had verified my address in that ward and it is now October and my address is still over in my new ward. I am trying to figure out who does this but I feel bad forcing someone to correct the location if I was the one that locked it down.
A verified household location does not lock it down. The situation you are experiencing is a bug that has been reported to the developers.
Wilbsguy wrote:It seems to me that any change to an address, no matter what, should trigger a reset to the verification and geo-location.
When a household moves, the system should take the new address and remap it. It should also reset the verified status to unverified, or unmapped as appropriate.

Just to be clear, I am getting that you moved and have a new address in the system and that Maps application has remapped your household location. The only issue is that the mapped location is not accurate and the household status is showing verified when in fact it has not been verified. Is that correct?
JD Lessley
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jdlessley wrote:When a household moves, the system should take the new address and remap it.

IIRC, if one moves into a new ward, it should do that. But a move within a ward may not. What it should do is a whole debate in itself, but that's how it seemed to work when it was working.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rontilby

Post by rontilby »

What I have experienced recently as a ward clerk is that:
1. The map location (orange dot) is verified correctly in another ward.
2. The household moves into my ward, and I request and receive the records.
3. The map location (orange dot) REMAINS VERIFIED at the OLD LOCATION (even after waiting a few days).

This leaves Map users in my ward confused about where the newly arrived household is living and whether they're actually in the ward. And leaves me with no indication that the orange dot may be at the wrong location and needs to be updated.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

I have run into three situations.

The first is as described rontilby's post. I would add that the address in the online directory and the directory pane for Maps both show the household address in our ward as it should.

The second situation is where the household is mapped in our ward boundaries after the move but the household location marker indicates the household location has been verified when in fact it has not been verified. I haven't seen this situation since July.

The third situation is a household moves into the ward, is mapped within the boundaries, and is marked as unverified. This is the expected behavior.

I have been able to confirm with a member of the household for some of the households for the first two situations that the household location had been verified in their previous ward. But since I have not been able to confirm all the household's location status prior to the move, and I have not asked any member of a household that shows as not verified, I am not certain all households verified in another ward remains verified when the household moves.
JD Lessley
sasgrw

Post by sasgrw »

We have a member that moved within the ward boundaries, about a year ago. I was poking around the forum and saw this thread so I looked to see what their map status was. The text in the popup shows their new address but the locator is at their old address, although it shows up as verified. I tried an edit/save from leader.lds.org (without changing any info - just click on 'edit' then click on 'save') and refreshed the map. It now shows their address as unverified and moved the market to a generic spot in our zipcode.

If I type their address into maps.lds.org, it can find the address so I'm not sure why the locator wouldn't be in the right place. It looks like about half the addresses have the unverified icon. I hope I don't have to manually move them all.
kendall54

Locations on Map not even close

Post by kendall54 »

I have been recently called as the ward clerk. Our Bishop asked that I find out about the maps and why our member locations are not correctly located on the map. I found that many (if not most) of the new members to our ward (They have been in the ward for some time) are not properly located on the map. Some are at locations such as Bedord Rd instead of the actual location Bedford Heights Rd. Others are nowhere close. I have a new member who moved in with their daughter and the new location is not where the daughter lives. It does not seem that LDS Maps is using Google maps to help in the location since I pasted the address that was listed to Google Maps which found the address with no problems. Based on some of the work that I've done so far, it appears that a good 30 - 40% of our membership is mapped wrong. Is there a way to do this other than moving each member family one at a time?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

kendall54 wrote:Is there a way to do this other than moving each member family one at a time?

Not presently. Once a location has been verified by a clerk, the system trusts that location even if the address is changed via MLS or the person moves to a new ward. The only way to reset the location is to edit the address using Clerk Resources on LDS.org, and even then a clerk needs to verify the new location. In many cases that extra step won't save any work, but sometimes it will.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”