Tools menu automatically opening up after login... good or bad?

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.

What do you think about the tools menu automatically popping up after login?

Hate it - For the love of all that is good and holy, stop popping that thing up!!
12%
Hate it - For the love of all that is good and holy, stop popping that thing up!!
14%
18%
19%
37%

Total votes: 57

barkeraj
Church Employee
Church Employee

Tools menu automatically opening up after login... good or bad?

Post by barkeraj »

We were discussing this today about if it should stay or go. Thoughts?
Aaron Barker
Front-end Development Lead for LDS.org (content portions, not apps) and Ward Executive Secretary.
lisaan
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by lisaan »

I don't mind that it pops when I first hit the page but then it won't go away!
QA Engineer
dannykos

Post by dannykos »

In my opinion a menu that needs to be forced open is either hiding things that should be more obvious to a visitor, or isn't well publicised enough. Might I suggest a 'what's new' popup like on the calendar etc - so that people can be notified of what they can find in there, and then given a chance to not show it again.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

It saves one click if I just sign in and am going somewhere.

But if I selected my destination at first (instead of Sign In), and then was sent to sign in, there is no need for it to pop up again. In this case, it is a nuisance and causes an extra click (somewhere else on the page) to get rid of it.

And if I click on the wrong place on the page to get rid of the drop down menu, I go somewhere else I did not intend to go, and have to click my way back to where I wanted to land in the first place. And usually the back button does not take me where I came from, so then I wind up starting over at the home page and drilling down again.
lewisj3

Post by lewisj3 »

It is confusing to me why the menu opens when it is not something that I clicked on. It clutters up the page with information that I don't find particularly useful. When you log into the website on a mobile device the menu is a problem to try and navigate around. At best it's a distraction, at worst it is a obstacle for customers to try and navigate around.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:But if I selected my destination at first (instead of Sign In), and then was sent to sign in, there is no need for it to pop up again. In this case, it is a nuisance and causes an extra click (somewhere else on the page) to get rid of it.
I'd agree with that.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mevans

Post by mevans »

When I first started seeing this behavior, my thought was that it's a bug in the code causing it to pop up. After it stuck around for so long, it made me think that it's the church's marketing campaign to get members to use the Tools. I know what's there and I find it to be a nuisance. However, I could see it being helpful to some people to help them realize there are tools and features that might be useful to them. What I don't know is if it actually serves that purpose for people who aren't familiar with the tools menu. The demographic of people who see and participate in this poll is likely skewed toward people who are more familiar with the church's tools than the average church member.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

lajackson wrote:It saves one click if I just sign in and am going somewhere.

But if I selected my destination at first (instead of Sign In), and then was sent to sign in, there is no need for it to pop up again. In this case, it is a nuisance and causes an extra click (somewhere else on the page) to get rid of it.

I also agree with this -- good analysis. If I simply sign in, I find it useful (or at least not bothersome). But when I have selected a destination and am required to sign in on the way to that destination, it is simply an annoyance.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

My suggestion: continue current behavior on the lds.org main page. Discontinue it on all others (since we're likely at our destination).
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
barkeraj
Church Employee
Church Employee

Re: Tools menu automatically opening up after login... good

Post by barkeraj »

At long last we have removed this. Bask in the glory of your lack of popups.

If you appreciated this move, let us know in the feedback. It was a hard fought battle, so please let us know if it was the right move :)

Return to “Main Church Website”