Searching forum suggestion

Having a problem with the Forum? Or feedback about the forum? This is the place.
dlongmore

Searching forum suggestion

Post by dlongmore »

How does one search for posts dealing with "paf" or other such three letter acronymns when the search must be at least 4 characters? I suggest that it be changed if possible. If your not able to then once google starts indexing the posts one could do a google search like so "paf site:beta.ldstech.lds.org/forum". At least I have done that with other forums and it has worked.
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

Try searching for "paf*". The search supports wildcards and appending a * to the end of a 3 letter word seems to work.

If we move the size down lower, it seems to grow the db substantially.

Tom
dlongmore

Post by dlongmore »

Does it work for anyone else? I tried it before posting and just now and do not seem to have any luck. I know there are posts out there with the word PAF in them. Maybe I am doing something wrong. Help me.
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

Hmmm, PAF* does not seem to work. RSS* does, however. I'll have to look into it.

Tom
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

So far from what I tested PAF is the ONLY one that doesn't work. I don't know if you have a word blocking part of the site but it might be interfearing with that. Or maybe PAF is a special search keyword (Print in Arial Format). :D

I tested it with SuperPAF (Works) *rPAF (Doesn't work) Gen* (works) *PAF** (Doesn't work)
- David
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

My paf* was a trick I discovered to get around the 3 character limitation. So I would not be surprised if it did not work.

Tom
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

I think I solved it. The search engine is limiting the search to 4 letters rss* = rss? but not "rss " because rss is under 4 letter. A modification saying that * can be a space might do the trick.

Hope that made sense.
- David
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

Also placing a * at the front of a word in the search does nothing. It will just take them out. That means you have to know the first part of the word, which I guess doesn't matter unless you are looking for *PAF*.
- David
dlongmore

Post by dlongmore »

Once you have worked out a permanent solution can someone updated the "Sticky: Searching the Forum" under the announcement. I am thinking this question will likely come up sometime in the future. Also searching MLS* seems to have a similiar result for me.
JasonG-p40

Post by JasonG-p40 »

I get nothing when searching for PAF, but MLS worked just fine.
Jason D. Griffith
Pampa Ward, Amarillo Stake (Texas)
Community Guidelines

Return to “Help with this forum”