Broadcast Audio/Video Sync

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
techgy
Community Moderators

Broadcast Audio/Video Sync

Post by techgy »

I've noticed that the audio/video for the recent broadcast of President Monson's birthday party wasn't in sync. It's very close but there's a fraction of a second lag between what you see and what you hear. I'm referring to the BYU Channel broadcast. I don't recall seeing the same problem during the church broadcast.

Has anyone else noticed this? I know that most broadcasts are delayed a second or two in case something happens that they can cut the signal and not broadcast what occurred. However, the audio and video are usually still in sync.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

techgy wrote:I've noticed that the audio/video for the recent broadcast of President Monson's birthday party wasn't in sync. It's very close but there's a fraction of a second lag between what you see and what you hear. I'm referring to the BYU Channel broadcast. I don't recall seeing the same problem during the church broadcast.

Has anyone else noticed this? I know that most broadcasts are delayed a second or two in case something happens that they can cut the signal and not broadcast what occurred. However, the audio and video are usually still in sync.

I watched the broadcast from LDS.org using the Church player. The video and audio were never in sync, although they were close. It has nothing to do with any kind of tape delay because the program was held Friday evening, then set to rebroadcast and stream beginning Saturday.

From LDS.org and the Church player, I also lost the feed each 40 minutes and had to restart the feed, then click on the time slider at the bottom of the screen to get back to the part of the program we were watching. It is almost as if the first 40 minutes of the program was on one server, and the next 40 minutes was on another, and the stream did not handle the chage correctly. The glitch was consistent.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

lajackson wrote:I watched the broadcast from LDS.org using the Church player. The video and audio were never in sync, although they were close. It has nothing to do with any kind of tape delay because the program was held Friday evening, then set to rebroadcast and stream beginning Saturday.

From LDS.org and the Church player, I also lost the feed each 40 minutes and had to restart the feed, then click on the time slider at the bottom of the screen to get back to the part of the program we were watching. It is almost as if the first 40 minutes of the program was on one server, and the next 40 minutes was on another, and the stream did not handle the chage correctly. The glitch was consistent.
I neglected to mention that I noticed the same behaviour during the Pioneer Broadcast last month. The lag isn't very much and you really have to be paying attention to notice it, but the audio/video is definitely not in sync.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

techgy wrote:I neglected to mention that I noticed the same behaviour during the Pioneer Broadcast last month. The lag isn't very much and you really have to be paying attention to notice it, but the audio/video is definitely not in sync.

It has been that way on almost every program for several years. I am just now getting to the point where I can ignore it, having spent my lifetime trying to deal with this sort of problem.

I am wondering if it is just an offshoot of streaming. I see it regularly with the Church player, at BYU-TV, and on some other sites when I stream. I think the software gives priority to the audio at the expense of the video. In many cases, when the video lags, the audio continues as the video tries to catch up, or skips up to almost synced. It just never quite gets there.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

lajackson wrote:.....I am wondering if it is just an offshoot of streaming. I see it regularly with the Church player, at BYU-TV, and on some other sites when I stream. I think the software gives priority to the audio at the expense of the video. In many cases, when the video lags, the audio continues as the video tries to catch up, or skips up to almost synced. It just never quite gets there.
I sent in some feedback to BYU TV in the hopes of resolving this issue. They responded, but only enough to tell me that they've passed my note along to "the appropriate department". If I ever get anything in the way of a resolution I'll post it, but I'm doubtful. I guess it just one life's little frustations that you learn to deal with.

Return to “General Discussions”