Broadcast Recording Copyright

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
techgy
Community Moderators

Broadcast Recording Copyright

Post by techgy »

At the end of each satellite broadcast are the words "any reproduction, transmission, etc, etc, without written consent is prohibited." This statement has been changed over the years as it used to say something like ".....for commercial gain, without written consent."

Without getting into a legal discussion which isn't appropriate here, what's the opinion of others in making recordings of these broadcasts for placement in a stake library for members to watch? I wouldn't believe it would be an issue, but.....
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Techgy wrote:At the end of each satellite broadcast are the words "any reproduction, transmission, etc, etc, without written consent is prohibited." This statement has been changed over the years as it used to say something like ".....for commercial gain, without written consent."

Without getting into a legal discussion which isn't appropriate here, what's the opinion of others in making recordings of these broadcasts for placement in a stake library for members to watch? I wouldn't believe it would be an issue, but.....
This is what it says in the 2008 Satellite Programing Schedule in the notes section.
1. General conference session should be video taped for future use. All broadcasts, even those seen live, may be video taped.
That, I believe, is the written consent.

There are also detailed instructions that are sent out about six weeks before each broadcast. I don't usually keep those once the broadcast has occurred so I don't have them to refer to confirm video copying instructions right now.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Here is some more information from the 2008 broadcast schedule that may help.
Stakes and wards should not schedule events that conflict with conferences, devotionals, and Worldwide Leadership Training broadcasts. Unless otherwise specified, these should be viewed on the date they are broadcast. All other programs on this schedule may be viewed live or may be videotaped for later viewing.

They ask you to contact them if you have any questions at:
Broadcast and Event Services
50 E. North Temple St., Rm. 2266
Salt Lake City, UT 84150-2020
1-800-453-3860, extension 2-3228 (toll free in the United States and Canada)
1-801-240-3228
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

Duh....Sorry about posting such a question. You're right. I'd had forgotten about that.
I see these announcements so often that I'm used to just reading what it is and when.

Oh well, perhaps the question will help someone else. :)
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

Techgy wrote:Oh well, perhaps the question will help someone else. :)
It already has. ;)
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “General Discussions”