Removing Class Members who should not be there

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
lgrobbins-p40
New Member
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:14 am
Location: Papillion, Nebraska USA

Removing Class Members who should not be there

#1

Post by lgrobbins-p40 »

When creating a CTR 5 class MLS brought in several (but not all) members who were outside of the parameters of the 5-6 year old settings (I had folks who were 10, 37, 19, 71, etc). They are now in the system and when I try to remove them MLS asks me what other Primary classes I would like to put them in. There are no other options. How do I remove these folks from the Primary class they obviously do not belong in?
russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 31962
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

#2

Post by russellhltn »

Most likely the rules on the CTR5 class are defective. I think you need to fix the rules first, or you'll have an ongoing problem.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 15138
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

#3

Post by aebrown »

lgrobbins wrote:When creating a CTR 5 class MLS brought in several (but not all) members who were outside of the parameters of the 5-6 year old settings (I had folks who were 10, 37, 19, 71, etc). They are now in the system and when I try to remove them MLS asks me what other Primary classes I would like to put them in. There are no other options. How do I remove these folks from the Primary class they obviously do not belong in?

You can simply remove them. Although MLS prompts you for a new class, you can leave that field blank and click Save.

See full instructions at http://www.ldsclerks.org/index.php?titl ... etc..29.3F
crislapi
Senior Member
Posts: 1266
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:05 pm
Location: USA

#4

Post by crislapi »

lgrobbins wrote:When creating a CTR 5 class MLS brought in several (but not all) members who were outside of the parameters of the 5-6 year old settings (I had folks who were 10, 37, 19, 71, etc). They are now in the system and when I try to remove them MLS asks me what other Primary classes I would like to put them in.
Funny. I just had a ward clerk come to me with a similar problem. He was working on preparing his quarterly report and noticed he had 4 young women in his ward. The problem is it is a student ward and the youngest person in the ward is 19. He doesn't have any young women. The 2 I checked were 23 and 29 so they shouldn't have been there anyway. We moved them to relief society, but the quarterly report still shows the same 4 as being in YW. We double checked, and there is now no one listed as being a YW, and the 4 now show up in RS.

The questions are:
1) How did people who obviously are not YW end up getting assigned to it? These classes come preloaded with MLS, so the rules are universal.
2) Why does the QR still show there being 4 YW when in fact there are now none?
lajackson
Community Moderators
Posts: 10593
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:27 pm
Location: US

#5

Post by lajackson »

crislapi wrote:Funny. I just had a ward clerk come to me with a similar problem. He was working on preparing his quarterly report and noticed he had 4 young women in his ward. The problem is it is a student ward and the youngest person in the ward is 19.
Check again. Is anyone 18. If they had been "locked" into YW at 18 and not removed, they might still be there. I do not know if the YW assignment stays when a record is transfered.

Another area to look at is the children of the imported ward leaders. Normally just the leader is imported, but if the family of one or more of the leaders got moved into the ward, there might be some YW coming from there.
russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 31962
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

#6

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:I do not know if the YW assignment stays when a record is transfered.
I would seriously doubt it, but I don't know why he'd end up with YW either.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jbh001
Senior Member
Posts: 854
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:17 pm
Location: Las Vegas, NV

#7

Post by jbh001 »

crislapi wrote:The questions are:
1) How did people who obviously are not YW end up getting assigned to it? These classes come preloaded with MLS, so the rules are universal.
2) Why does the QR still show there being 4 YW when in fact there are now none?
1) I don't know, but in a student ward especially it wouldn't hurt to

1a) click those Reset Classes links every so often just for good measure to make sure the class rules haven't somehow gotten corrupted. Maybe sometime before school starts in the fall would be a good time to do this.

1b) Do a membership refresh periodically for the same reason.

1c) Check the affected records for glitches that need correcting.

1d) If the problem persists, my next course of action would be to try a complete clean install of MLS by downloading it from mls.lds.org. It is possible for something in MLS to have gotten corrupted through the patching process, and a clean install should fix that.

2) The quarterly report will not reset itself until after the beginning of the next quarter. Until then you are stuck with whatever it computed at the beginning of the most recent quarter.
crislapi
Senior Member
Posts: 1266
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:05 pm
Location: USA

#8

Post by crislapi »

lajackson wrote:Check again. Is anyone 18.
Done. None of the 4 were under 22. The 19 yr old happens to be the youngest person in the ward, but not one of the records that was confused.
lajackson wrote:Another area to look at is the children of the imported ward leaders. Normally just the leader is imported, but if the family of one or more of the leaders got moved into the ward, there might be some YW coming from there.
Just to clarify, at least in student wards the records of leaders called from other wards are not requested/moved to the ward they are serving in. You can create out-of-unit records for them in your ward, but their actual membership record stays in their home ward. So this is not the problem.
jbh001 wrote:1)2) The quarterly report will not reset itself until after the beginning of the next quarter. Until then you are stuck with whatever it computed at the beginning of the most recent quarter.
This makes sense. If they were listed as YW through the entire quarter, then I can see how the QR will still show them as YW even if they have been switched. I will check on the next QR to see if they are in the correct group.
lgrobbins-p40
New Member
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:14 am
Location: Papillion, Nebraska USA

Thanks

#9

Post by lgrobbins-p40 »

Appreciate all the inputs. I was able to resolve the situation when I finally found the correct screen that allows me to delete the name without reassigning the person to a class.
jbh001
Senior Member
Posts: 854
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:17 pm
Location: Las Vegas, NV

#10

Post by jbh001 »

And for the benefit of the rest of us, how does one navigate to that screen?
Post Reply

Return to “Membership Help”