Ward contact list

Discussions around the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch versions of the Member Tools Application.
Abram_Langston

Ward contact list

Post by Abram_Langston »

I know how to individually download a members contact information to my iPhone. Is there a way to do the whole ward at once?
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Ward contact list

Post by sbradshaw »

No, it's not currently possible.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
Abram_Langston

Post by Abram_Langston »

Bummer. This would be a nice feature.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Yes, it would be nice in some cases. However, I'll bet one of the reasons it hasn't been implemented is to protect privacy of member information – when it's in the Church's system, it's safe; members can update their info and change their privacy settings; etc. But once it gets outside of the Church's system, anything could happen with the data, and members no longer can set their profiles (that have been exported away) to private. Android has a nice Caller ID function that pulls up the name of the person calling by accessing the list inside LDS Tools; unfortunately, iOS doesn't provide a way for an app to provide their own Caller ID.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

sbradshaw wrote:Yes, it would be nice in some cases. However, I'll bet one of the reasons it hasn't been implemented is to protect privacy of member information – when it's in the Church's system, it's safe; members can update their info and change their privacy settings; etc. But once it gets outside of the Church's system, anything could happen with the data, and members no longer can set their profiles (that have been exported away) to private.
Not only that, but any number of apps demand access to one's contact list.

There's also the practical consideration of trying to update things. Syncing would be a nightmare. Should a contact that moved out of the ward be deleted? What if they were your friends and you're staying in contact with them? Messy would be a understatement.

While Android does have CID, I'm not sure as it's all that useful. I see the notification pop-up, but the ringing phone makes it hard to look at. I don't remember it showing me information outside of the LDS Tools notification.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
kegelund

Post by kegelund »

How about through Settings, Contacts, Accounts, Add Account then Other?

Then it would be a contact source that would remain separate and address some of the issues listed.

Return to “iPhone/iPad Member Tools App”