Broadcasting services

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
ksteurer

Broadcasting services

Post by ksteurer »

Does the church have any policies for broadcasting sacrament services for home-bound members of the church? I read in 21.3.10 that this is not allowed. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Keith
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Broadcasting services

Post by sbradshaw »

That's correct – filming in a chapel is not allowed (except for stake conference where broadcasting to another building), and also filming ordinances is not allowed. Home teachers or other priesthood holders can receive authorization from the bishop to bless and pass the sacrament in a member's home. As part of the visit, testimonies or a summary of the sacrament meeting talks could be shared and hymns could be sung, if desired.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

Everything sbradshaw posted is correct. Let me add, it's not common, but under certain circumstances higher authorities can allow it.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Mikerowaved wrote:but under certain circumstances higher authorities can allow it.
By "higher", I assume your talking about Area Authority or higher.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

russellhltn wrote:
Mikerowaved wrote:but under certain circumstances higher authorities can allow it.
By "higher", I assume your talking about Area Authority or higher.
All I know is, if the Stake President gives his blessing, I have to assume he requested, and received, permission to do so. How far up the chain the request has to travel is beyond my pay grade.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

I'm inclined to want the handbook to be the final arbitrator on this one. I can't imagine a scenario that says it's ok for certain home-bound to receive a stream where others can't. I'm quite certain that 'higher authorities' can inform one to go ahead and do it, but if it were me I'd like to see that 'higher authority's' email confirmation as permission. Typical process for streaming includes shutting down wireless in the meetinghouse, disrupting potential services for other wards, etc... I'm sure the cost of having multiple streaming devices + cameras is a consideration. Does the handbook mention anything about audio. Most meetinghouses are still setup to record audio?
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

johnshaw wrote:Does the handbook mention anything about audio.
Only when a General authority is involved (See Handbook 2: 21.1.33) I can't find anything else.
johnshaw wrote:Most meetinghouses are still setup to record audio?
I believe most still have a audio out jack at the pulpit.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

Return to “General Discussions”