iPad Pro 256GB Download all possible?

Discussions around the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch versions of the Gospel Library application.
trevorperry

iPad Pro 256GB Download all possible?

Post by trevorperry »

Just wondering if its possible to download everything since I have so much space. I've heard of a download all on android, but not IOS. Sorry if this has been answered before I couldn't see it answered.

Trevor
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: iPad Pro 256GB Download all possible?

Post by sbradshaw »

It's possible, but not practical. You can long-press a collection (for example, Scriptures) to get options for Download All or Remove All. But only books immediately inside the collection are queued for download. So, if you long-press "Magazines" and choose Download All, nothing will happen – you have to go inside and long-press on Ensign, then New Era, then Friend, then Liahona. Downloading all content is not recommended, though – there are more than 2500 content items for English alone, with little things being updated all the time, so your app will be constantly receiving updates.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
bbuyack

Post by bbuyack »

This is absolutely something you'd want to do, and this post answered my challenge!

My problem is with all the various books, lesson manuals etc. When you get a new device and install Gospel Library nothing is installed. No Scriptures, no primary manuals, no conference talks, no Ensign magazine editions. They're all grayed out. When you click on them, they then download. The problem is that if you want all sessions of conference, you have to go one by one, each 6 months all the way back to 1971 and click each one. That's 46 years x 2 sessions per year = 92 times.

Magazines go back to 1971, and there are 12 of them each year. If you want all magazines cached you have to click on each month's edition to download it ONE BY ONE. That's 12 times per year from 1971 through 2017. That's 46 years x 12 months means I have to manually click 552 Times!! Note that I also get a new phone every year, so each year I get to go and click through hundreds of things to manually get all the material back on my phone.

The problem is if you don't have these downloaded locally, when you search for a topic, say GRATTITUDE, you will only see content returned where you have the material download. So if President Kimball gave an amazing talk about Missionary Work, you won't find that unless you have it cached / downloaded.

I had no idea that you could long press on an area and download all the magazines. That's great news. Now we need to raise that up a level and enable it to download all content for the entire app. THEN, I want an option to download new content as it becomes available so that i'm not having to go download new magazines, and conference as it updates each time. I also have a 256GB phone and have plenty of room. Then again, most of this is text, and does not take up a ton of space. If Videos are included there should be a separate option whether to cache videos as this would take up a lot more room.
craniac

Post by craniac »

I was recently searching for something within Gospel library on my iPad amateur, and the app brought up a result--an ensign issue--and asked if I wanted to download it. So maybe the app installs an index now, up front, so you might not need to do those 552 taps.

Return to “iPhone/iPad Gospel Library”