Who can the Bishopric invite to sit with them during Sacrament meeting?

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
wallaced

Who can the Bishopric invite to sit with them during Sacrament meeting?

Postby wallaced » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:45 am

Often, only one of our Bishopric members (counselor, usually) presides at Sacrament Meeting. The question has come up if the EQ president can sit on the stand with him. I have heard yes and no....but cannot find any documentation either way. Is there a general church policy, or is this left to the Stake President or local Bishop?

eblood66

Re: Who can the Bishopric invite to sit with them during Sacrament meeting?

Postby eblood66 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:15 am

If the entire bishopric is absent and no member of the stake presidency is present then Handbook 2 section 18.2 indicates that stake president designates who will preside. Previously it said that would normally be the HP group leader but now it would presumably be the EQ president.

But if a counselor is present and is presiding then as far as I know he could ask whoever he wants to sit on the stand. As far as i know there is no restriction on who the presiding officer can ask to sit up there. In various circumstances there are speakers, those saying prayers, the AP messenger, those who are being presented for recognition or ordination and sometimes the entire choir on the stand. I know of nothing that enumerates anything regarding who may or may not sit with the bishopric on the stand. The only thing that I'm aware of is that section 18.2 does say that stake presiding officers and high councilors should be invited to sit on the stand.

In my experience when we've only had one counselor in Sacrament meeting, the HP group leader would usually sit with him. Now I would expect the EQ president to do so. But I don't know of anything that requires that specifically or even requires that anyone to sit with the counselor.

Return to “General Discussions”