IROP approval via LCR? Missing info?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
chriswoodut

IROP approval via LCR? Missing info?

Post by chriswoodut »

The new expense handling in LCR also allows the bishop to acknowledge any IROP expenses instead of us printing out the paper in MLS and documenting via paper processes.

However, the LCR IROP does not show the same information that the paper from MLS shows. This causes the bishop to acknowledge it without knowing what it actually is. He then texts me asking and if I don't know I have to wait to get to MLS at the church to see the paper version which says what the items were.

Am I just doing this wrong in LCR? Is there some hidden link to the data with the items purchased?

(I love IROPs being handled this way, LCR just needs to have all the info that MLS has on the paper. Yes, I submitted feedback at the bottom of the LCR page.)
eblood66

Re: IROP approval via LCR? Missing info?

Post by eblood66 »

Where are you looking at to see the LCR IROP? If you find the expense in Finance > Expenses > Expenses Summary, click on the IROP number to view the expense details and then click on the PDF icon just to the right of the reference number (under the horizontal line) it shows the full IROP. As far as I can tell, this is exactly the same as the printed IROP from MLS.
chriswoodut

Post by chriswoodut »

eblood66 wrote:Where are you looking at to see the LCR IROP? If you find the expense in Finance > Expenses > Expenses Summary, click on the IROP number to view the expense details and then click on the PDF icon just to the right of the reference number (under the horizontal line) it shows the full IROP. As far as I can tell, this is exactly the same as the printed IROP from MLS.
Wow, that's a tiny icon in an unexpected place. I was expecting to see the documentation next to the "Attached Receipts" button or see it actually attached like all of our other documentation is. The Bishop obviously didn't see it either. If any employee is listening, please change the visibility and location.
chriswoodut

Post by chriswoodut »

btw, thanks for the response. I passed the info to the bishop so he is aware of that icon too.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

That is exactly the same icon and the same location that is used to display the images of printed checks that have cleared the bank. Auditors use that feature to verify appropriate signatures on checks.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
chriswoodut

Post by chriswoodut »

drepouille wrote:That is exactly the same icon and the same location that is used to display the images of printed checks that have cleared the bank. Auditors use that feature to verify appropriate signatures on checks.
Interesting, I'll have to look for that too. I guess my point is that it isn't clear and obvious that the given icon is even clickable. It's not next to a label and isn't a standard icon in my experience that would communicate to a user that there is a document here you should look at. With so many users of the system (clerks, bishops, etc) and with those callings rotating regularly, a system/UI that requires no training or browsing of a forum to learn should be appealing.

I don't mean to sound negative. But, with as many years as I've worked IT, experience with websites, for me to miss the icon as being a link to something useful makes me think a non-geek is going to miss it too. Maybe I give myself too much credit. :)
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

drepouille wrote:That is exactly the same icon and the same location that is used to display the images of printed checks that have cleared the bank. Auditors use that feature to verify appropriate signatures on checks.
But that is not a check - it's an Invoice from the Distribution Center for an automatic charge. Two entirely different instruments. I had missed it as well when looking earlier and I already stumbled on the check image for checks previously so I knew about that. Logic would dictate that the "Expense Summary Report" should open the IROP because that is what it is, but it does not.

I am not, nor have ever been in IT, but I have been a Quality Engineer all my working life. It may be obvious to the programmers because they built it but it is not intuitive to the rest of us mere mortals. Most of the new changes to the church websites have resulted in a less and less customer-friendly interface for the myriad of experience levels of those with callings who need access.

I don't mean to complain, but in my humble opinion, programmers should not be building these pages for those who already know how to navigate in them. They should be building them for those who know nothing about how the website works because they are brand new in their calling, get absolutely no training from the Stake (in ALL my experience), and the help system is so outdated it is often wrong (or missing altogether). Oh, and they are in their 80s as my father was when he was called as ward clerk. If one find their way around the page without randomly clicking on words and icons (that have no indication what they are or whether they are links) in the hopes of finding things, the web site is poorly coded. Pure and simple. Is it too much to ask to have a title under the PDF icon that says it is a check or an IROP in whatever language the user has selected?
chriswoodut

Post by chriswoodut »

davesudweeks wrote:
But that is not a check - it's an Invoice from the Distribution Center for an automatic charge. Two entirely different instruments. I had missed it as well when looking earlier and I already stumbled on the check image for checks previously so I knew about that. Logic would dictate that the "Expense Summary Report" should open the IROP because that is what it is, but it does not.
I had this exact same thought. Two different purposes. Yet, the IROP is more like our reimbursement documentation so I think it should be at the bottom as such.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”