Recording General Conference

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
jbwilcox

Recording General Conference

Postby jbwilcox » Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:38 pm

Can I record General Conference for my own personal use to view at a later date?

My wife tells me it is illegal to do so

What are the facts?

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Recording General Conference

Postby russellhltn » Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:09 pm

It's legal.

Please refer to the last question in A Conversation about Using Copyrighted Materials at Home and Church.

It's also announced either a the beginning or ending of each session.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Postby sbradshaw » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:42 pm

The Church allows general conference to be recorded for personal use – from the General Handbook, 38.8.38: "members may record broadcasts of general conference on home equipment for personal, noncommercial use."

However, you also need to take into account the terms of service of the source you're using. For example, YouTube's terms of service are restrictive, and prevent downloading or recording streams for any reason (link). The Church website, on the other hand, allows downloading content for personal use (link). So, if you download or record general conference videos from the Church website, you shouldn't have any problems.

For general conference, the Church makes it easy to download video files from here:
https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/general-conference?lang=eng
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Postby russellhltn » Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:43 pm

Curious. I listed to some of the sessions of conference. They said:
This broadcast [is/has been] furnished as a public service by Bonneville Distribution. Any reproduction, recording, transcription, or other use of this program, without written consent, is prohibited.

I remember that last sentence as having "for commercial purpose" in it. But doing some spot checks, I can't find that version, even going back to April 2009.

Perhaps this is what OP's wife is talking about.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

lajackson
Community Moderators

Postby lajackson » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:54 pm

You have written consent in the General Handbook under the terms and limitations listed there.

Return to “General Discussions”