Scripture chapter buttons

Discussions about the Notes and Journal tool on LDS.org. This includes the Study Toolbar as well as the scriptures and other content on LDS.org that is integrated with Notes and Journal.
steelers96

Scripture chapter buttons

Postby steelers96 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:15 pm

I am curious. How probable is it for a visual button grid to be added to the scripture section of this website?

I ask because I have generally lost track of what I have read in the scriptures and what I have not read. I understand that reading the scriptures from beginning to end allows the reader to digest topics in an intended order. Got it. Personally, when I study scriptures, I usually study or read concerning a certain topic. Skipping around the various books to read and do a deep dive on whatever topic or topics I am looking into. I have also read 1 Nephi and Genesis so many times in efforts to start reading the entire books again, that going back through those again is not something I am looking forward to. Even though they do have very good messages in them.

This is my visualization of the visual button grid. Very rough but it should get the point across. Maybe it is under a heading of 'track my readings' or something like that. But what it is is a set of digital buttons that can be highlighted. Down to the chapter level of detail. With a few color options to allow for tailoring by the user to track their reading by selecting the chapters they have read. Maybe they want to do red, yellow and green to indicate understanding levels of those particular chapters. The red, yellow, green options should not be the only ones as this color option should be able to be tailored by the user. The size of the buttons does not need to be large. Even if the buttons are about the size of the smilies options on this page would be fine. There would be a rollup menu somewhere in the scripture section to track all progress. There would also be an option at the end of each of the chapters asking whether or not the user would like to highlight the button or not to keep track of their progress.

jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: Scripture chapter buttons

Postby jdlessley » Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:43 pm

steelers96 wrote:How probable is it for a visual button grid to be added to the scripture section of this website?

We can't say since we seldom hear of development roadmaps. Since the forum is primarily user-to-user help and support there is little chance anyone has any insight. You can get your proposal in front of those who can make a decision by sending feedback through the feedback link found at the bottom of most Church website pages in the footer section of the page. It will be routed to the appropriate person, office, or department for consideration. Do not expect a personal response since there are so many messages sent through the system on a daily basis. You would be fortunate to get an automated response. But rest assured it will be forwarded.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center?

lajackson
Community Moderators

Postby lajackson » Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:34 pm

steelers96 wrote:I am curious. How probable is it for a visual button grid to be added to the scripture section of this website?

If you use the Gospel Library app, you may wish to take a look at the Study Plans area. I am not sure it was intended to be used the way you describe, but I think you would be able to track whether or not you had read something at the chapter level.

jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Postby jonesrk » Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:34 pm

lajackson wrote:
steelers96 wrote:I am curious. How probable is it for a visual button grid to be added to the scripture section of this website?

If you use the Gospel Library app, you may wish to take a look at the Study Plans area. I am not sure it was intended to be used the way you describe, but I think you would be able to track whether or not you had read something at the chapter level.

I've done that for general conference where I don't usually read the talks in the order they were given, but start with the ones I felt I need to go back to the most. Then it is easy to see which ones I still need to review.

Return to “Notes and Journal, and Online Scriptures”