Budget Refunds

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
danielwells

Budget Refunds

Post by danielwells »

I am sure many of you are dealing with the same issue I am right now. Monies from camps are being returned to members who were already reimbursed for the expense. I am having a hard time finding the best way to allow those members to repay the budget categories. It's probably simple and I'm just overlooking it. But is anyone aware of how to do this process?

Thanks in advance.
drepouille

Re: Budget Refunds

Post by drepouille »

The Help Center says:
https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/hel ... categories
Members are not authorized to contribute to stake or ward budgets. Deposits are only made to the “Budget” category for the return of unused funds from an advance.
Therefore, using MLS, the clerk may process a member "donation" to a Budget category for the purpose of returning unused funds.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
danielwells

Post by danielwells »

Ok. With the current situation, It's been so long since I went into the church to use MLS :)

It sounds like MLS will let me just post a donation to a budget category.

I will go and verify that. Thank you.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

It is not really a donation. Any funds disbursed from a budget category as an advance can be returned to that category. The procedure to process a return is much like a regular donation. The member returning an advance fills out a donation slip but uses the blank space for Other and writes the budget category and a statement like "return of advance". Since the system does not allow donations to a budget category it will be processed as a return of funds instead of a donation. This transaction will not show up on the donors end of year tax valid statement
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center?
danielwells

Post by danielwells »

So just to be clear, do an "advance" and "reimbursement" work the same in these instances? I notice that both responses have used the term "advance". These were "reimbursements" with receipts. I've never had the need to do an "advance" in my ward.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

danielwells wrote:I notice that both responses have used the term "advance".
That is the only time funds are repayed to a budget category.
danielwells wrote:These were "reimbursements" with receipts.
It is difficult to understand the situation you are experiencing because you stated:
danielwells wrote:Monies from camps are being returned to members who were already reimbursed for the expense. I am having a hard time finding the best way to allow those members to repay the budget categories.
That suggests budget funds were used to pay an advance. As I just stated above, that is the only time funds are repayed to budget categories.

The only scenario I can imagine that would involve members being reimbursed for a camp expense is when the members pay for the camp themselves in advance of the camp. They are reimbursed for this advance expense by the ward from budget funds. The camp is cancelled and the organization running the camp refund camp fees to the expected attendees. Now the expected attendees need to return the funds they received from the ward back to the ward. Is this the actual scenario?

If that scenario is correct, then even though the members paid in advance directly to the providers of the camp with their own funds and used that receipt to get a reimbursement from the ward, it is still an advance of budget funds.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

The only time funds are deposited to "budget" is if they came from budget.

This might be from the unused portion of an advance, or it might be due to a refund. In both cases, the funds originally came from budget.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

This may have to do with the way the For the Strength of Youth payments are being handled. Members paid part and the wards and branches paid part. I am not sure how it is all being refunded, but it may be the the members are getting the total refund and needing to return the unit portion.
danielwells

Post by danielwells »

So to clarify, I have two different instances. The first is a Young Men's leader who paid for the deposit on a High Adventure Camp for 2020 out of his own pocket last year. He submitted receipts and was reimbursed the money from the Young Men's Budget. The camp was cancelled so he received the money back. Now he has to pay the ward back (back to the YM budget).

A similar situation exists for a Young Women. Their President reserved a campsite and paid a down payment on some rental gear last year (for a camp this year). Both those have been cancelled and the YW President has received those funds back. She also wants to pay back her budget.

Hope this helps. Thanks.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

• Have the member write a check for the amount to be reimbursed to the budget.
  • Have the member fill out a donation slip and write "Budget" and the category in the "Other" section. It wouldn't hurt to attach an explanation of what is being reimbursed or write it on the back of the slip.
  • Process the deposit and select the budget category as the destination category (instead of tithing, fast offerings, etc.).
  • File the paperwork as normal.
You now have a document (the donation slip and any documentation with the donation slip) that documents the purpose for which the funds were received. You should be able to tie that back to the original disbursement. Because the deposit is not being made to a donation category, the payment won't show up on the member's year-end tax statement.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”