Can't access YouTube Studio at church

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
craiggsmith

Can't access YouTube Studio at church

Post by craiggsmith »

I had posted this in the broadcasts forum but thought it might be better here. We have noticed that if we don't access YouTube studio at home first, we can't access it at church. It seems to generate a new URL each time it generates a new key or something like that. Yes, we tell everyone to schedule the broadcast ahead of time and enter the key into OBS at home, and then you don't even need to open YouTube Studio, but for testing or emergencies this is a problem.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Can't access YouTube Studio at church

Post by russellhltn »

Sounds like a filter problem. By accessing it at home, you're loading the DNS lookup into cache, bypassing the filter.

Are you using a wired connection, or wireless. If wireless, are you going though the splash screen?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

I have tried both wired and wireless with the same result, and yes, went through the splash screen for wireless.

I would like to have someone from HQ look into this; I was hoping they would be monitoring this but should I just log something with the service desk?
Craig
South Jordan, UT
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

craiggsmith wrote:...but should I just log something with the service desk?
Unfortunately, I don't think you'll get much support from the church for streaming to YouTube.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Are you using your own DNS? The church only supports using theirs.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

Mikerowaved wrote:Unfortunately, I don't think you'll get much support from the church for streaming to YouTube.
You're right.
russellhltn wrote:Are you using your own DNS? The church only supports using theirs.
No, standard configuration. This problem occurs with every computer and every browser we've tried. Note that we don't get a site blocked message, it goes to the site, but it's just a blank page.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

What about the Internet Filter Policy? I think that if the setting is anything other than Managed this might block YouTube. Worth double checking.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

Biggles wrote:What about the Internet Filter Policy? I think that if the setting is anything other than Managed this might block YouTube. Worth double checking.
Thanks, but yes, I tried that. We did have it set to Moderate so set it back to Managed but it had no effect.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

A thought, did you reboot the firewall after changing the setting?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Biggles wrote:A thought, did you reboot the firewall after changing the setting?
I've found that you need to reboot, or at least reconnect the computer in question to get the new filter policy. Although, resetting the firewall will reset all connections.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”