IRS 1099-MISC

Discuss where to obtain or how to fill out specific reports or forms.
BrianTAllen

IRS 1099-MISC

Post by BrianTAllen »

Hi,

In November 2019 we received a letter with the subject "2019 Tax Reporting—Form 1099-MISC", about how to file with the IRS for specific expenses. It was due by January 31st.

I haven't seen that email or heard anything about it this year. Have reporting requirements changed and this is no longer necessary?

I had never heard of it until I got that email, so I'm guessing if it is a requirement there are a lot of people that don't know they have to do it.

Thanks,
Brian
Stake Clerk
eblood66

Re: IRS 1099-MISC

Post by eblood66 »

There was an email this year as well and there was an official letter dated Nov 23rd (https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/let ... nline=true). The requirements are the same as last year (and for many years before).

However, in my experience most units don't have any expenses that require reporting. The exclusions listed in the email and letter exclude most everything. With all fast offering expenses excluded and all payments for goods excluded there usually isn't a lot left. And then remove any services provided by a incorporated businesses and there is even less.

This is my first year as stake finance clerk and with covid this year nobody had very many expenses so I just scanned all budget and other:AFMA expense for all units in our stake and was able to exclude everything based on the expense description and/or payee. But in years past as a ward finance clerk, I usually got a request from the stake clerk to report any qualifying expenses to him.

Return to “Reports and Forms”