Email Addresses Locked Unintentionally

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
wesleyrm76

Email Addresses Locked Unintentionally

Post by wesleyrm76 »

Our Relief Society President noticed that within the last few months, several people have had their emails switched to private, perhaps unintentionally. She suspects this, because hers was changed, and she can't seem to make it visible again. What can she do to make it visible, and is there any reason that members would have their privacy settings changed by the system?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Email Addresses Locked Unintentionally

Post by russellhltn »

How is she trying to change it? I've seen other posts where people indicate that their information was made private, but no one has been able to find a reproducible bug.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

There isn't anything the system does automatically to change privacy settings. When we have had someone come to us saying that the system changed the privacy settings, it has always been traced back to a user issue.

She can fix it using Member Tools or the online Directory application.

To fix it using the Directory:
  • Go to https://directory.churchofjesuschrist.org/.
  • Find your own household in the directory.
  • Click the pencil at the bottom right of the household info.
  • Click on Privacy at the top to view privacy settings.
  • Review the household privacy settings and save any changes.
  • Click on your name to view your individual details.
  • Follow the same edit process to view individual privacy details.
It looks like there is currently a bug in the Directory where the privacy setting is defaulting to private if there isn't a value set. For example, I don't have a household phone number but my household phone privacy is showing up as "Private" even though the privacy setting in the database is set to stake visibility. Member Tools is displaying the value correctly.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

scgallafent wrote:It looks like there is currently a bug in the Directory where the privacy setting is defaulting to private if there isn't a value set. For example, I don't have a household phone number but my household phone privacy is showing up as "Private" even though the privacy setting in the database is set to stake visibility. Member Tools is displaying the value correctly.
I don't envy the church trying to keep up with all the varied privacy requirements in all the different countries in the world (and all their changes). We users think it should be simple, but I bet it is incredibly complex... I wouldn't be surprised to hear the the system defaults to private when no flag is set since a large part of the world requires that standard by law.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

davesudweeks wrote:
scgallafent wrote:It looks like there is currently a bug in the Directory where the privacy setting is defaulting to private if there isn't a value set. For example, I don't have a household phone number but my household phone privacy is showing up as "Private" even though the privacy setting in the database is set to stake visibility. Member Tools is displaying the value correctly.
I don't envy the church trying to keep up with all the varied privacy requirements in all the different countries in the world (and all their changes). We users think it should be simple, but I bet it is incredibly complex... I wouldn't be surprised to hear the the system defaults to private when no flag is set since a large part of the world requires that standard by law.
It's supposed to default based on their unit's country
chriswoodut

Post by chriswoodut »

We have a few members that somehow turn this on unintentionally. When we ask about it, they're willing to let us switch it back.

Return to “Membership Help”