Directory Makes Me Login Twice

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
jepeneter

Directory Makes Me Login Twice

Post by jepeneter »

When I go to the church website (https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org) and then choose Directory from the account menu (upper right), it prompts me for the SSO login which is normal. However, when I do my username and password, it then redirects me right back to the login page again to then do the username and password a second time. After that it works fine. This has been the behavior for perhaps as long as a year (maybe even longer?).

Is this normal?

Browser: Brave (Chrome) but it also happened when I used Chrome (I just switched to Brave several months ago).
davesudweeks

Re: Directory Makes Me Login Twice

Post by davesudweeks »

This is normal behavior for going to the online store (correction: going to the online store does not bring a new login page, but your login does not transfer to the store - you are taken there in a logged-out state), but I have never seen this when going to the directory (I don't use the Brave browser). Using Chrome, I just selected the directory while logged in to the top level church domain and it took me right to the map and directory without requiring a second login. I'm not a programmer so don't have any guess as to what may be causing the problem for you, but I don't think what you are seeing is normal.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

This has been happening to me for several months now. If I have not yet logged in, and go directly to the Ward Directory and Map, it asks me to login, then it almost displays the directory and map, but then returns me to the login page. I just roll with it.

Chrome 90 on Windows 10 20H2.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

If I have not yet logged in, and go directly to the Ward Directory and Map.....
Exactly my experience as well. It's not 100% the case, although just when I think I've found a pattern with why it sometimes works, that pattern fails. I've found this exclusively when logging into to the directory and map page, nowhere else does it redirect me back to the login page after successfully logging in.
primavera91

Post by primavera91 »

I have the same problem, I have to login twice every time.
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

primavera91 wrote:I have the same problem, I have to login twice every time.
Does it actually make you sign in twice? If so, clearing your browser's cache or deleting relevant cookies _might_ solve the problem.

Or, does it simply show the "Sign In" button but clicking it shows the new-fangled "Dashboard" view? I get that behavior, too--even after clearing cache and deleting cookies. As far as I'm aware, there is no solution to that behavior--except maybe to wait days/weeks/months/... until the 'Dashboard' view either goes away or becomes the default view.
wstillwell

Post by wstillwell »

I came here to report the same behavior that on first going to churchofjesuschrist.org I sign in, and it mostly loads and then I have to sign in again and then it works. This has been happening for some time. I saw the advice above about clearing cookies. Duh I am an IT pro and forgot that one simple step. I cleared ALL cookies for every *.churchofjesuschrist.org site. Went back and tried it fresh and only had to sign in once and it worked. Go figure. Months of this happening and that simple step worked. I am using Chrome on Windows 10.

Also who here uses lds.org to make it got the much longer URL? I can't be the only one. Quicker and easier. ;)
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

wstillwell wrote:...

Also who here uses lds.org to make it got the much longer URL? I can't be the only one. Quicker and easier. ;)
Not many of us are likely to admit it. ;-)
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

I have changed all my bookmarks to churchofjesuschrist.org and after using it a couple of times it takes one or two characters before the browser provides an auto-complete option for the site I want.
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

As I'm typing lds.org into the address bar, I try and mentally say "ChurchofJesusChrist.org" in my mind. That said, I don't think I'm following either the letter or the spirit of the law... :lol:

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”