How to stop YT from recording / posting live streams?

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
dbaresrc

How to stop YT from recording / posting live streams?

Post by dbaresrc »

I'm testing and playing with YTL streaming. We have a channel and are able to stream meetings to it with Vidiu-X as well as Wirecast.

When each stream ends, I'm seeing that a recording of the stream is posted to the channel. Since the Church guidance is NOT to record the meetings, I'm trying to figure out how to stop this. Is there a way? Otherwise I'll have to delete them manually each week.

Thanks
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: How to stop YT from recording / posting live streams?

Post by lajackson »

dbaresrc wrote:When each stream ends, I'm seeing that a recording of the stream is posted to the channel. Since the Church guidance is NOT to record the meetings, I'm trying to figure out how to stop this. Is there a way? Otherwise I'll have to delete them manually each week.
From another post I read, I think you need to make a note to go in and delete the saved recording(s) each week following each meeting.
bido101

Post by bido101 »

It is true. YouTube doesn't have a setting to auto-delete or automatically make the video private after the stream is complete.

Due to this and other scheduling pain, I ended up writing code that runs as a Google AppScript that automatically does the following:

* Allow units to "schedule" a broadcast via Google Calendar. Upon creating a calendar entry in a stake-wide Google Calendar, the AppScript code is triggered and will automatically create and configure a YouTube live streaming event and then update the recently saved calendar entry with the public YouTube link.

* At midnight, every night, the AppScript runs and marks all YouTube videos on every unit's YouTube channel as private.

* If the calendar entry that created the YouTube live streaming event is deleted or times change, the YouTube event is deleted or re-scheduled accordingly.

Some units delete the calendar entry at the end of broadcast. Others let the midnight mark as private run effectively "delete" it. I should note that the YouTube event configuration we use as "Auto-start" and "Auto-stop" enabled. As a result, all our units broadcast to YouTube but never have to open the YouTube Studio interface to create events (via Calendar) or start and stop the stream. It is a delight.

Further, we use Mevo Starts in all our buildings and units. So the only interface our unit broadcasters need is their iPhone or Android device to control the camera start and stop sending RTMP to YouTube.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

bido101 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:29 pm Some units delete the calendar entry at the end of broadcast. Others let the midnight mark as private run effectively "delete" it.
I'm curious what happens if a stream is deleted while someone is watching it? Are they allowed to complete it, or are they cut off?

I'm thinking about someone who started late and is now 5 minutes behind "live".
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
bido101

Post by bido101 »

russellhltn wrote: I'm curious what happens if a stream is deleted while someone is watching it? Are they allowed to complete it, or are they cut off?

Not a problem for as we disable DVR in the event. Viewers are forced to watch Live.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

bido101 wrote: YouTube doesn't have a setting to auto-delete or automatically make the video private after the stream is complete.
In this post someone is using a method that changes the stream to "unlisted" 60 seconds after streaming stops. They still have to go and delete them.

Is changing them to unlisted the same as making them private? If so, that would seem to be of value.
bido101

Post by bido101 »

YouTube has three privacy levels:

[*] Public - is wide open. Video is searchable. This is your typical video on YouTube.
[*] Unlisted - only accessible by those who have the link. This is "private" by obscurity. The video will not show up in search results, but can be added to playlists.
[*] Private - effectively only the owner can see it. Kind of like a "soft" delete. But the video is still up on YouTube's servers. Even if someone has the URL, once marked private, it cannot be seen.

At present, you can only turn a Public live stream into an Unlisted live stream. If you've distributed the link, Unlisted can still be viewed.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

bido101 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:38 pm YouTube has three privacy levels:

[*] Public - is wide open. Video is searchable. This is your typical video on YouTube.
[*] Unlisted - only accessible by those who have the link. This is "private" by obscurity. The video will not show up in search results, but can be added to playlists.
[*] Private - effectively only the owner can see it. Kind of like a "soft" delete. But the video is still up on YouTube's servers. Even if someone has the URL, once marked private, it cannot be seen.

At present, you can only turn a Public live stream into an Unlisted live stream. If you've distributed the link, Unlisted can still be viewed.
True, *BUT* if the link that is emailed/texted out to the membership is a link to the stake's YT channel, rather than links to individual meetings, people can go there and click on their ward's meeting to view it. 60 seconds after the meeting ends, the "saved video" goes "Unlisted" and the link disappears from the stake YT channel, preventing further viewers from watching it with a simple click. This effectively takes the meeting offline.

Yes, someone can easily copy a meeting's URL anytime before it goes Unlisted and use that link to view it after it's finished (before I've had a chance to delete it), but in my study of the meeting's analytics (that YT is very good at keeping) I've never seen this happen. The only "hit" of viewing a meeting after it has ended is me. I always skip through meetings prior to deleting them, looking for quality issues.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
dbaresrc

Post by dbaresrc »

bido101 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:19 pm
russellhltn wrote: I'm curious what happens if a stream is deleted while someone is watching it? Are they allowed to complete it, or are they cut off?

Not a problem for as we disable DVR in the event. Viewers are forced to watch Live.
Thank you -- I found the Disable DVR switch on the encoder configuration page last night before reading your reply and am trying it this week.

I'm finding YTL is just very weird. Up until this AM, our channel was searchable even though there is no content in it. The search returned the link to the upcoming LiveStream. This AM, I can't find the channel nor the scheduled stream in a generic search. The only thing I changed was the DVR toggle. Maybe I'll have to ply with this some more and see if it affects search.

Also, once you land on the channel, you have to dig through a sub-menu of the Videos tab to find the scheduled stream. I wish the default for that tab was "All videos."

I ** assume ** once the stream goes live, it will be easily found on the main channel landing page but who knows. That's what testing is all about!!!

Anyway, I really wish the Church would keep the existing system. It is so simple and easy for everyone to use. Including us.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

dbaresrc wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:46 am I'm finding YTL is just very weird. Up until this AM, our channel was searchable even though there is no content in it. The search returned the link to the upcoming LiveStream. This AM, I can't find the channel nor the scheduled stream in a generic search. The only thing I changed was the DVR toggle. Maybe I'll have to ply with this some more and see if it affects search.

Also, once you land on the channel, you have to dig through a sub-menu of the Videos tab to find the scheduled stream. I wish the default for that tab was "All videos."

I ** assume ** once the stream goes live, it will be easily found on the main channel landing page but who knows. That's what testing is all about!!!

Anyway, I really wish the Church would keep the existing system. It is so simple and easy for everyone to use. Including us.
In your YT channel, click on CUSTOMIZE CHANNEL in the upper right. Under Featured sections, click on + ADD SECTION and select Upcoming live streams and Live now.

This will make those items visible on your YT channel's home page without having to dig for them.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”