Prioritization of video packets on church’s firewall

Discussions around receiving, originating, and holding Church broadcasts and conferences in meetinghouses including schedules, setup, equipment, and support.
azpcox

Prioritization of video packets on church’s firewall

Post by azpcox »

I’ve found we’ve been having challenges on our webcasts with both church system and zoom during the overlap of wards when we are broadcasting and other RS or EQ or SS classes are also using the Internet. Is there a way to prioritize certain MAC addresses on the church’s firewall to make sure Sacrament packets get through first? I mean, some video packets are more important than others, right?

Are there any solutions for this?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Prioritization of video packets on church’s firewall

Post by russellhltn »

azpcox wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:10 am Is there a way to prioritize certain MAC addresses on the church’s firewall to make sure Sacrament packets get through first?
There's nothing like that within the control of local leaders.

I'd suggest a conversation with the stake about what can be done.

Options would include asking FM for a higher bandwidth connection, turning off Liahona for the general membership, or simply not allowing the second hour webcast for overlapping wards.

One of the first things I'd try is making the sacrament system hardwired and not WiFi.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
marnofi

Post by marnofi »

So, it sounds like one of the following is true:

1. The needed QoS settings for such on the routers don't exist. (Google Home offers such a service, although I'm not sure what hardware you need: <https://support.google.com/wifi/answer/6246483?hl=en>.)
2. Local leadership doesn't have access to the administrative settings of the routers.

If #2 is true, you'd probably need to turn the Wi-Fi off while keeping the ethernet on (if you can even change that), plug another router into it (with such as a CAT6 or CAT5e cable) which other router is configured appropriately for your needs, and use the Wi-Fi from the other router. If you can't turn the Wi-Fi off, then if it has an annenta, you can unscrew it to disable the Wi-Fi. If there's no external antenna, maybe you could put the router inside something designed to inhibit the radio waves of the Wi-Fi, if that's legal. I don't know.

If the specific QoS settings just don't exist, but you do have access to other settings, you might consider enabling MAC addressing (adding the needed MAC addresses to the list first). That way, only the computers you add can use the Wi-Fi. Just be sure to disable MAC addressing after this situation is no longer needed, or no one else will be able to use the Wi-Fi. Don't block yourself out, though; you may want to do this via a computer connected via an ethernet cable (CAT6 or CAT5e).

On most routers, you can go to the router settings by typing in something like
in your location bar (on a web browser connected to the router via Ethernet or Wi-Fi).

And then type in the username and password (if you have it) on the page that loads. This isn't the same as the Wi-Fi login. The default login tends to be on the router (but they've probably been changed).
Last edited by marnofi on Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

All routers and wifi is enterprise grade and is centrally managed by the church. The local level only has limited control. Mostly turning wifi on/off and enabling another wifi id with a separate password for limited use.

Another option in the hands of local leaders is to change the schedule so they don't overlap.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Broadcasts and Conferences”