USA - New depository plastic envelopes.

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
MurdockM

USA - New depository plastic envelopes.

Post by MurdockM »

Fin clerk here,
On the front of the upper pocket there are lines to record;

Cash:
Coin:
Total:

The Bishops' counselor working with me today mentioned that it was not explicitly explained on the bag instructions, what should be recorded on the “Total:” line and he had always put down the total deposit. Which I think is the correct thing to do.

Is this explained somewhere?
waltbristow

Re: USA - New depository plastic envelopes.

Post by waltbristow »

I always thought the "Total" was everything: currency, coins, and checks. But maybe I was wrong all along.
jgoggan

Post by jgoggan »

I was about to start a thread asking about this, but found this one already here, but no one really answered much. I am curious what others are doing. Are you putting the deposit total (which is what we did on the old envelopes because they actually had a line for "checks" too, so it made sense to put the full total)? Or are you just putting the total of cash and coin there since there is no line for checks? (Seems really weird to me that there is no line for checks anywhere.)

Also, is it just me, or do you feel like these new envelopes were made by someone who has never done a tithing deposit? :) My main complaint is that we have a tiny little section for the checks. It fits the checks and the deposit slip just perfectly -- I feel like it was designed for that. But the person forgot that the full page printout of the deposit report goes in there also. We literally have to fold it in 3rds and then fold it in half the other way to fit it into that little section. Is that what everyone else is doing? Again, just seems like someone didn't think this design through...
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

There's been a bit of Forum discussion about whether the Deposit Report is actually a requirement from the bank's perspective. It seems the bank does not care, and I'm uncertain as to what purpose it serves if they just discard it and do not keep if for future reference. I'm not saying you shouldn't fold it up as you're doing, since the process still states you should include it. We've actually also ordered new deposit plastic envelopes (should arrive this week), so I'll see if ours are similar to yours!
jgoggan

Post by jgoggan »

This was the first time we've used the new bags. I ordered them about 6 weeks ago -- they came pretty quickly. Maybe we'll get some new direction that the page doesn't need to be included. I mean, it isn't a huge deal to fold it up -- it just makes me think that no one actually thought about it (who actually does tithing) beforehand. :)
bhyde01

Post by bhyde01 »

How did you order the new deposit envelopes?
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

How did you order the new deposit envelopes?
Searching for "deposit envelope" in the Help Center, brings up a page listing details for "Ordering Finance Supplies". Second entry is for "Deposit Bags", the phone number for GSD and an email address are both listed there.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”