(Apologies about the length. This started as a "I've never heard that the bishopric has to witness a temple recommend signature into: how can I help make sure we're following current policies/procedures without perpetuating deprecated ones?).
Do important policies and procedures get added to the general handbook and also supplemental instructions get updated? I'm trying to navigate how bishopric members and clerks/secretaries can find out about important procedures if they are new to their calling. I thought the General Handbook and linked instructions from LCR was a great start, but it feels like there is the "word-of-mouth" avenue that makes me worried I'm perpetuating something that someone heard a long time ago in another meeting (I'm sure we all have stories of "so and so said we have to ....".)
I think the answer to my question is "generally yes, important policies and procedures do get added to the GHB and supplemental instructions and trainings". I also think the answer to the question I didn't ask is, "If someone said that we should do things a certain way, as long as that doesn't go against core doctrine or break the law, then it is probably fine to do it that way and if it bothers you, find a time to talk about it privately with the person asking you to do that thing".
Ultimately, I guess I'm posting here because I'm wondering what the procedure is for issuing temple recommends. Recently there was a mixup in issuing a temple recommend and the member left the church building. After the member left, we issued a new recommend and for convenience to the member and the bishop, I offered to drive the recommend over to the member's home and I was told, "you can't drop it off I have to witness the signature" (I'm a secretary).
I had never heard this before, and the interviewer had literally just interviewed the person and witnessed their signature on the recommend just a few minutes ago, so this left me wondering, "Where did this person receive instruction about witnessing the signature?"
My search took me to the General Handbook and also the "Instructions for Issuing Temple Recommends page: https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/hel ... s?lang=eng . I can't find this rule/policy anywhere.
Until... I searched on this forum and found this topic: viewtopic.php?p=229682 . That led me to a search of the Letters and Official Communications and I found a letter from December 22, 2021, in which it says a member of the bishopric witnesses as the member signs the recommend.
I'm glad that I was able to find a reference, however, it left me wondering: don't the policies and procedures in letters ever get added to the GHB or official instructions? I want to make sure we're following official procedures and policies, and I also want to be careful about perpetuating incorrect policies/procedures. I was hoping that I could keep up on reading all letters and official communications, but not stressing about them because I thought that the policy/procedure updates would be added to the GHB and/or official instructions. For newly called bishoprics, clerks, and secretaries, it seems an impossible task to ask them to start reading every letter going by 2-3 (?) years to find out the latest policies/procedures.
Do we just do our best with the information we have, and then if someone says "that's against church policy", do we do our best to corroborate their statement by searching for the policy/procedure, and if we can't find it, ask for clarification?
I want to follow policy, but I don't want to perpetuate policies/procedures that have been sunsetted. (and yes, my scrupolosity and introvertedness likely lead me to want to be knowledgeable about the rules but also make it hard for me to ask for clarification. Perhaps I'll make a suggestion using the feedback link and ask that the writers of the temple recommend instruction page include details about witnessing the signature
Thank you~!