New calendar sync and import question

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
Post Reply
jglanfield
Member
Posts: 86
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:22 am
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

New calendar sync and import question

#1

Post by jglanfield »

I was doing some searching to see if this has been covered, but two thoughts:

- why not allow 2-way syncing between LDS and Google calendars
- if that is not feasible, then is it possible to allow importing of 3rd party calendars? Our stake presidency has been using Google to compile the next year's calendar, which we then add manually to the online stake calendar

Thanks!
User avatar
kd7mha
Member
Posts: 262
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:27 pm
Location: Logan, Utah

#2

Post by kd7mha »

jglanfield wrote:I was doing some searching to see if this has been covered, but two thoughts:

- why not allow 2-way syncing between LDS and Google calendars
- if that is not feasible, then is it possible to allow importing of 3rd party calendars? Our stake presidency has been using Google to compile the next year's calendar, which we then add manually to the online stake calendar

Thanks!
- 2-way syncing will not be possible
- an import feature is scheduled to be available by the end of 2011
There are 11 types of people. Those who understand Gray Code and those that don't.
jglanfield
Member
Posts: 86
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:22 am
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

#3

Post by jglanfield »

Thanks!

Any reason why they won't allow 2-way syncing?
User avatar
kd7mha
Member
Posts: 262
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:27 pm
Location: Logan, Utah

#4

Post by kd7mha »

Because the calendar consolidates all of the subscribed calendars into a single feed there is no way of knowing which calendar an event submitted from a 3rd party application should be added to.
There are 11 types of people. Those who understand Gray Code and those that don't.
User avatar
kd7mha
Member
Posts: 262
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:27 pm
Location: Logan, Utah

#5

Post by kd7mha »

You could use a private calendar to draft events then either move them to a public calendar or change the calendar to public when you are ready.
There are 11 types of people. Those who understand Gray Code and those that don't.
User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 15138
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

#6

Post by aebrown »

kd7mha wrote:- an import feature is scheduled to be available by the end of 2011

All I've heard is that there will be the ability to import from the current LUWS calendar. That may or may not be a general import. I would welcome a more general import, but haven't heard of that. Do you have more specifics on these plans?
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
User avatar
kd7mha
Member
Posts: 262
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:27 pm
Location: Logan, Utah

#7

Post by kd7mha »

Alan_Brown wrote:All I've heard is that there will be the ability to import from the current LUWS calendar. That may or may not be a general import. I would welcome a more general import, but haven't heard of that. Do you have more specifics on these plans?
from the Transition FAQ page
Events are not currently synchronized between the two calendar applications. The ability to import events will be available in 2011 to support a smoother transition to the new calendar.
but this is about the transition so "migrate" might be a better word.
There are 11 types of people. Those who understand Gray Code and those that don't.
User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 15138
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

#8

Post by aebrown »

kd7mha wrote:from the Transition FAQ page
Events are not currently synchronized between the two calendar applications. The ability to import events will be available in 2011 to support a smoother transition to the new calendar.
but this is about the transition so "migrate" might be a better word
I'd agree with using the word "migrate", especially since that answer was in response to the specific question "Why don't I see events from the old calendar on the new calendar?" That seems pretty clear that it is talking only about moving from the LUWS calendar to the new.lds.org calendar.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
Post Reply

Return to “Calendar”