Mark Content in Spanish

Discussions about the Notes and Journal tool on LDS.org. This includes the Study Toolbar as well as the scriptures and other content on LDS.org that is integrated with Notes and Journal.
buddhajb

Mark Content in Spanish

Post by buddhajb »

Hi,

Are there any plans to provide the Study Mode option of marking content in other languages besides English (e.g., Spanish)? When I read the scriptures in Spanish I would really like to be able to mark the content like I can in English. Why are other languages not included when new features are put into production?

Thanks,
John
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

buddhajb wrote:Are there any plans to provide the Study Mode option of marking content in other languages besides English (e.g., Spanish)? When I read the scriptures in Spanish I would really like to be able to mark the content like I can in English.

It seems clear that there are such plans. The "My Study Notebook" feature is in the process of being translated. But that translation is still a work in progress (as you can tell by looking at the Spanish Study Notebook, which still has words in English -- other languages are even farther behind).
buddhajb wrote: Why are other languages not included when new features are put into production?

I have been involved in the development of much software that gets translated. It has always been developed in English first, and then translated. That's a natural consequence of having a development team that speaks English primarily. So then the question is: do you release the completed English version or wait for all the translations? If you release English first, then you get some complaints about not having translations available on day one. But does it really make sense to make all the English-speaking users wait for months to get the completed software until every language is available? Most product managers will decide to release the English version to help as many people as possible as soon as possible.

So it's clear that translations are underway, but I'm grateful that the English version is available now.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
rosenlot

Post by rosenlot »

Any update on being able to use the study notebook and mark scriptures in Spanish?

Return to “Notes and Journal, and Online Scriptures”