Gospel Library Ideas\Suggestions

Discussions around the Android version of the Gospel Library application.
christianwilliams

Re: Gospel Library Ideas\Suggestions

Post by christianwilliams »

When I mark my physical scriptures I can see the markup. Gospel library does this.

When I write a note in my physical scriptures I can see the note. Gospel library hides the note.

Yes, you can click into each note, but the that's a break in the thought process that interferes with assimilating the information.

I'd love the option to display my notes inline above or below verses. This is crucial for actually organizing lessons, reviewing prior study, pondering, etc.

Imagine filling your scriptures with line upon line of personal revelation interspaced between the text. Whatever argument for hiding the note in the icon you have to click on could equally apply to the highlighting and underlining. By the same token, you should have to click the annotation icon to view the highlights. :roll:

Of course, that would be silly to hide the highlights unless you want to stop on each verse and click them, and it is equally silly to hide the note.

The inability to view all notes inline with the text really limits using app as a the sole tool for teaching. And it reduces what we can gain from our study as well. When you can see your notes inline with the text you will ponder and write more.

I'd love to hear if this is under consideration for the future.
lmcguire

Post by lmcguire »

christianwilliams wrote:When I write a note in my physical scriptures I can see the note. Gospel library hides the note.

Yes, you can click into each note, but the that's a break in the thought process that interferes with assimilating the information.

I'd love the option to display my notes inline above or below verses. This is crucial for actually organizing lessons, reviewing prior study, pondering, etc.
In version 3.2.14.0 for Android, you can see the full text of your notes in the footnote window. So while it's not in the middle of the original text, it can be seen on the same screen, and as you scroll through the original text, the footnotes scroll too, so you'll see it come up when you reach the highlight where the note is.

I've gone back to this version on my phone, because I couldn't stand the new "Related Content" pane that replaces the footnote pane, but I'm installing 4.0 on my tablet now (ugh) so I can check... OK, the text I put in as a note is still visible in the "Related Content" pane, it's just that you have to scroll the "Related Content" pane separately...

So, are you really requesting that your comments appear in-line with the original content, or am I misunderstanding something?
GrasseDD

Post by GrasseDD »

I agreed with you Liz. But looks like the programmers didn't. However, creating a link has become far too difficult in 4.0 for me, so I won't have to worry much.
D.G.
jonathanleininger

Post by jonathanleininger »

I did a quick search and didn't find anything on a shared bookmarks feature. My wife and I were talking about the ability to have a shared bookmark so that either person's device is capable of keeping track of where the family is in their scripture reading. Is a feature like this this even on the radar for a future release of the Gospel Library? Thanks!
kholmb

Chapter header written in dark blue with black background and hard to read

Post by kholmb »

When I click on a chapter of a book, such as Jacob 6 and then go to that chapter, "Jacob" at the top is now in dark blue on a black background and it is very difficult to read. Then if I click on the chapter heading to go back to other books and it gives me other options, those options are also in dark blue surrounded by black. I liked it the old way where the chapter heading was written in white. People who were getting old eyes like mine are going to have a really hard time reading those headings. Please change it back to white writing. Thanks.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Chapter header written in dark blue with black background and hard to read

Post by sbradshaw »

kholmb wrote:When I click on a chapter of a book, such as Jacob 6 and then go to that chapter, "Jacob" at the top is now in dark blue on a black background and it is very difficult to read. Then if I click on the chapter heading to go back to other books and it gives me other options, those options are also in dark blue surrounded by black. I liked it the old way where the chapter heading was written in white. People who were getting old eyes like mine are going to have a really hard time reading those headings. Please change it back to white writing. Thanks.
If you're seeing blue text instead of white, it's because you have accessibility settings turned on. Go to Settings > General > Accessibility and switch off "Button Shapes." You may have to force (swipe) close and reopen the app for the change to take effect.
Attachments
GL menu blue links.png
(217.31 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
christianwilliams

Post by christianwilliams »

lmcguire wrote:
christianwilliams wrote:When I write a note in my physical scriptures I can see the note. Gospel library hides the note.

In version 3.2.14.0 for Android, you can see the full text of your notes in the footnote window. So while it's not in the middle of the original text, it can be seen on the same screen, and as you scroll through the original text, the footnotes scroll too, so you'll see it come up when you reach the highlight where the note is.

I've gone back to this version on my phone, because I couldn't stand the new "Related Content" pane that replaces the footnote pane, but I'm installing 4.0 on my tablet now (ugh) so I can check... OK, the text I put in as a note is still visible in the "Related Content" pane, it's just that you have to scroll the "Related Content" pane separately...

So, are you really requesting that your comments appear in-line with the original content, or am I misunderstanding something?
Yes absolutely the note should be inline. That's where notes go, right? You highlight a verse you can see it any time you scroll by. You right a note and it should be there inline.

Long notes can just resort to showing the first X number of characters and you tap the note to expand it (inline!).
lmcguire

Post by lmcguire »

christianwilliams wrote:Yes absolutely the note should be inline. That's where notes go, right? You highlight a verse you can see it any time you scroll by. You right a note and it should be there inline.

Long notes can just resort to showing the first X number of characters and you tap the note to expand it (inline!).
Interesting. I like my notes in the old footnote pane. (Time will tell whether they restore that level of functionality to the new footnote pane.) Your idea is interesting though. I suppose they could anchor comments the same way they anchor highlights. I recommend sending this in via the in-app feedback, since that's the recommended way to get suggestions to the development team (this forum doesn't guarantee they ever get it).

As for "that's where notes go" - only if you have a microscopic pen or have managed to find scriptures printed with wider line spacing than I've ever seen. :) (In other words, the norm prior to technology would have been to use margins and such for notes, so it's not surprising that the electronic version handles notes in the same way.)
ToManyLetters

Post by ToManyLetters »

Yes absolutely the note should be inline. That's where notes go, right? You highlight a verse you can see it any time you scroll by. You right a note and it should be there inline.

It may interest you to know that Gospel Library for Windows handles notes by showing them inline, both in its stable version and in its beta for Windows 10.
w10betass.jpg
(307.03 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Learn more about Gospel Library for Windows 10 Beta at the link below:
https://tech.lds.org/wiki/Gospel_Library_for_Windows_10
marin8da

Post by marin8da »

I just thought that it might be a nice option to have push notifications we could enable to remind someone like myself to read the scriptures or to check out new content. I'm sure this may not be a popular idea, but if games and other kinds of apps do it, l why not have it as an option on LDS Gospel Library?

Return to “Android Gospel Library”