Youth Driving Youth

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
DSpray

Youth Driving Youth

Post by DSpray »

We have a situation where a young man just got his drivers license. He lives in a remote area and lives right down the street from several other young men that need rides. Is it appropriate for him to give them rides to YM/YW meetings? I cannot find anything in the handbook concerning youth driving youth to church meetings. He is not 18. I have always been told that youth cannot drive youth unless they are siblings. Is this anywhere in the handbook? I could not find anything.

Regards!
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Youth Driving Youth

Post by lajackson »

DSpray wrote:I cannot find anything in the handbook concerning youth driving youth to church meetings. He is not 18. I have always been told that youth cannot drive youth unless they are siblings. Is this anywhere in the handbook? I could not find anything.
No, it is not in the General Handbook, but it is a common local policy. Parental approval is required for all youth activities and only insured adults drive to activities outside the local area. Those are the Handbook guidelines.

The situation you describe would be a matter for parents to decide and the bishop may well have counsel for them to consider. Would the parents of the new driver want their own children to ride with him? How are they getting to the church now? A better solution might be for parents to take turns carpooling to mutual activities.

I would be very uncomfortable allowing my children to ride with a newly licensed teenage driver. Convenience would not override that decision.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

Some states have a graduated licensing system that would preclude what you are describing. In those states, there are restrictions imposed on newly licensed drivers that may restrict who they are allowed to have as passengers, how many passengers they are allowed to have, and when they are allowed to drive. You may want to check and see if that applies in your state.

As lajackson said, transportation to and from a Church activity is a matter for the parents to decide.
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

For those of us with early-morning seminary (where the church building or meeting place is miles from the various High Schools in the ward), this is often an "anxiously-awaited" occasion, for parents who either would rather not, or really cannot, drive to/from seminary every morning. And it's always a matter the parents decide, gratefully the GHB provides this flexibility. I think Bishops respect parental decisions unless they feel they need to intercede (physical/emotional/etc safety).
gsbbyu

Post by gsbbyu »

Section 20.6.24 of the Handbook says, "When Church groups travel in private passenger vehicles, each vehicle should be in safe operating condition, and each person should use a seat belt. Each driver should be a licensed, responsible adult."
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

gsbbyu wrote:Section 20.6.24 of the Handbook says, "When Church groups travel in private passenger vehicles, each vehicle should be in safe operating condition, and each person should use a seat belt. Each driver should be a licensed, responsible adult."
Nice find. However, reading the section as a while, it appears to apply to travel that is part of the activity. Such as "Meet at the Chapel for rides to the ward's temple day". This thread involves carpooling to/from church. There seems to be a lot of wiggle room to decide if this applies or not. I'd imagine a lot of it depends on how much of the carpooling is organized by the church and how much is organized by the youth and parents.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Bookin715

Post by Bookin715 »

So I recently got my license and take my fellow young woman to the church or a house for our activities. I understand that I can’t take them from the church while we are still doing an activity, but an I allowed to take them home?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Bookin715 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:59 pm So I recently got my license and take my fellow young woman to the church or a house for our activities. I understand that I can’t take them from the church while we are still doing an activity, but am I allowed to take them home?
As has been posted earlier, this would be a matter for parents to decide, in accordance with local state laws for new drivers. Taking youth home would fall into the same category as taking them to the activity.

In my state with rare exceptions, a new driver cannot drive with passengers who are not family members until they have had their license for at least one year. Some states do not have these restrictions for new drivers.
Leslei17

Re: Giving rides to youth and children in the primary

Post by Leslei17 »

Hi,

I have a question I am the primary secretary and I give 2 little ones a ride but they have a older sister that is in the youth. Am I able to give them all a ride? I am wondering since I was told that I could only pick up the Primary kids and not the young woman since I wasn’t in the youth presidency. They also mentioned that each presidency is responsible for picking up the children or youth that needs a ride. They also mentioned this was in the handbook which I have searched and can’t find any information about this.

Warmest Regards,
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

I recommend you start with your bishop. There may be local policies he is aware of. I also recommend you review the guidelines here as appropriate to your situation: https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/cal ... s?lang=eng

Specific travel guidelines for activities are in General Handbook 20.7.7.

Return to “General Discussions”