Webcasting Voice Backup

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

Aczlan wrote:What if one used a headphone amp? You can get one with 1 in to 4 (separately controlled) outputs for $20.
That should take care of the volume differences needed and in my experience, headphone level output just loud enough (or at least the headphone output on my SCM-800 gives a nice level into the EJ-10).

Aaron Z

If the $20 headphone amp has variable gain, maybe +/- 10 or 20 dB, I would think it should work. At that price, there's not much to lose by trying it. I suspect the SCM-800 is NOT the one with the $20 price tag.

Even if the $20 amp does not have variable gain, it could very well be sufficient, especially as a backup channel.
Aczlan

Post by Aczlan »

rmrichesjr wrote:If the $20 headphone amp has variable gain, maybe +/- 10 or 20 dB, I would think it should work. At that price, there's not much to lose by trying it. Even if the $20 amp does not have variable gain, it could very well be sufficient, especially as a backup channel.
I agree
I suspect the SCM-800 is NOT the one with the $20 price tag.
No it is not (the $20 one is a Behringer HA-400 from B&H) , but I had the SCM-800 in the rack with my main mixer (a Mackie VLZ1402PRO) from when I was mixing for an area leadership training meeting in Feb and I needed something to increase the volume for the phone line without distorting the sound like the "computer speaker" headphone out did.

Aaron Z
bshepher

EJ-10 audio backup over conference call - soft sound and audio cutting out

Post by bshepher »

Aczlan wrote:What we do as backup for the webcast is to use an audio conference bridge as described on the wiki: https://tech.lds.org/wiki/Audio_confere ... nghouse%29

Then we only need one EJ10 in each building and we only tie up one phone line in each building.
Edit: I believe that is also used for High Council and other Stake meetings with far flung participants.

Aaron Z
We just tested this out using the Verizon conferencing line that the church will setup for you. The problem we found is that the audio was very low and would cut out a lot. We took the conference line out of the mix and called a line directly and the audio stopped cutting out as much, but the sound was still very soft.

Has anyone else had this problem? How did you resolve it?

Thanks
Bryson
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

bshepher wrote:Has anyone else had this problem? How did you resolve it?

How were you getting audio into the telephone line? The EJ-10 needs a strong signal. See the prior discussion in this thread.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Aczlan

Post by Aczlan »

bshepher wrote:We just tested this out using the Verizon conferencing line that the church will setup for you. The problem we found is that the audio was very low and would cut out a lot. We took the conference line out of the mix and called a line directly and the audio stopped cutting out as much, but the sound was still very soft.
As I said above, I ran headphone level audio into the line in port on the EJ10. That worked fairly well.

Aaron Z
sammythesm

Post by sammythesm »

We bought a Rolls PhonePatch II - http://www.rolls.com/product.php?pid=PI9 - it was $40.

Since we use a mixer to mix the webcast audio, we just have an auxiliary output on the sound board which feeds the audio for the phone line.
danpass

Post by danpass »

bshepher wrote:We just tested this out using the Verizon conferencing line that the church will setup for you. The problem we found is that the audio was very low and would cut out a lot. We took the conference line out of the mix and called a line directly and the audio stopped cutting out as much, but the sound was still very soft.

Thanks
Bryson
There have been times when we needed to use our EJ10 for some purpose other than audio backup, immediately before, after or during a webcast. We followed Troy's recommendation in this post earlier in this thread and asked our FM group for dedicated Emtech devices. In preparation for our recent Stake Conference, we requested and received an EJ-R to use to inject the audio into our phone conference bridge and a TTAIB for each receiving location. This solution worked very well during our testing.

Useful information if you decide to go with this solution:

1. Our FM group initially couldn't find these Emtech devices in their ordering system. Tell your FM person that they need to place the order through the Church MTS Department.
  2. These Emtech devices are designed to be installed between your telephone handset and the telephone base. Some phones are not compatible with these devices, so if it doesn't work when you test, try a different phone. Also, Princess type phones, with the buttons in the handset, will not work at all. Use a classic phone that has the buttons in the base.
rgme

Post by rgme »

We bought a Rolls PhonePatch II
I just wanted to confirm this was for sending audio over the phone line, and not receiving it? Did you have any problems with distortion using this device (its instructions caution against using a hotter-than-line input).
Aczlan

Post by Aczlan »

danpass wrote:In preparation for our recent Stake Conference, we requested and received an EJ-R to use to inject the audio into our phone conference bridge
How loud did the signal going into your EJ-R need to be? In our experience, it needs to be loud headphone level, but that seems odd to me.
What has your experience been?

Aaron Z
danpass

Post by danpass »

Aczlan wrote:How loud did the signal going into your EJ-R need to be? In our experience, it needs to be loud headphone level, but that seems odd to me.
What has your experience been?

Aaron Z
I got the audio input signal from the same line level source that feeds into our Webcast Communicator. I used an adapter cable with an RCA connector on one end and 1/4" headphone plug on the other. The sound level was good at the receiving locations.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”